total newb xp question

MuckyFoots

Gawd
so i plug in my usb flash drive and xp recognizes it correctly.

umm... how can i open it up to see the contents? there is no icon in "my computer"

The drive should be assigned a letter. Go under Administrator menu, hit computer mangement and then disk management. If it did install correctly you should see a removeable media device and there should be a letter next to it. Go into IE and put
A:/

A = The letter it was assigned

so it doesnt show up on the disk management...

but it beeps when i put it in the usb slot and an icon appears in the desk tray tool bar thingy

MuckyFoots said:
so i plug in my usb flash drive and xp recognizes it correctly.
How do you know that xp recognized the drive if it wont

- show up on disk management
- show up on my computer
- show up on the device manager

install the drivers that came with the flashmedia drive. it may need special drivers, unlike most of them.

try openning my computer, and looking at all your drives that are listed. when you see the last one (for example's sake, we'll say it's your cd rom, and it's drive letter is D ) count one letter up, then click start then run, and type in that one letter higher with a colon after it, in this example, E:

if a window pops up, then for whatever reason windows isn't refreshing the information. i'm going to guess since it isn't in disk management it probably won't bring up the window either.

try clicking on the little icon that it brings up, which i'm going to assume has a little green arrow on it. if a window pops up when you click on it, it should give you all the informationt hat windows has on your flash drive. check device manager for any yellow things too (question marks or exclamation points) and see if the info there matches up with the info the window that pops up from clicking the tray icon gives you. that should point you in the right direction, or at least lead to your next question.

starhawk said:
install the drivers that came with the flashmedia drive. it may need special drivers, unlike most of them.

i second that. certain flash drives are a real PIDA about drivers. one guy i worked for had a flash drive, and a driver disc for it with about 10 drivers all named the same thing for xp, but only the 6th or so try out of them actually allowed it to work, even though it would recognize that "something" was plugged in.

Back