Total Lackluster Winchester OC

BronxBartoni

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
410
First off my specs- MSI Neo2 Plat., 4X512 Corsair Value Select, A64 3000+ Win., 6800GT @ 420/1100, Antec TP 550.

HT Frequency is at 3x, Ram divider is at 133, CPU Voltage is 1.45+5%, and memory is at 2.70. I can only get to 2.16 ghz. The highest I can get my FSB is 240 without crashing, temps have been 48 degrees while priming. What gives? Is it the fact that I am running 4 sticks of ram? Or jus the brand itself? I can only get my FSB to 235 @ stock voltage and a 200 divider. This is with the stock HSF, but I plan on getting a Zalman soon. Should I plan on getting a new CPU as well? I was hoping for at least 2.3 with the stock cooling. The AGP freq. is @ 67 and the SATA port is in 3.
 
I just picked up some AS5 with a Zalman and it makes a world of difference. Of course, you may just have a bad Winnie (what are the steps?).

I have the crappiest ram that rebates can buy, and I was able to get 240 with a 166 divider. Meanwhile, cpu temps never broke 40 on stock, and voltage was untouched.

Regardless, I'd think 2.3 was pushing it on stock cooling.
 
eh, the later winchesters were really shitty OCers... sounds like you got one of the worse BI chips.

he means his memory voltage is at 2.7v.
 
Ok, backed all the voltage settings down to stock after crashing at a 245 FSB. Im able to get to a 235 FSB without changing anything, is there any way I can tell my stepping without taking the HSF off the cpu?
 
Well thats no good. So should I plan on getting a better HSF, ram or both? Or should I just ebay this pos and grab a opteron?
 
I'm not ruling out that you have a bumb of an OC'er, but are you using the nV driver for the hard drives? In my system that's a lot like yours (except two sticks of Corsair VS ram) I was getting stuck because of the storage driver. I removed it and went to the Winblows version (generic) and I've been good to go ever since. Stable @ 288 which works out to 2.6 give or take a few. I do have an earlier Winnie though, 04-41. Worth a shot. Also, if you think it's a ram issue then what's stopping you from pulling out 2 or even 3 sticks just for testing purposes. You can also go to 2T timings or the 100 divider to rule out ram being your sticking point.
 
I will try and remove the NV storage drivers, Id really rather not take out 2 stick of ram, as I play BF2 most of the time, which loves the extra gb. Just go into add/remove hardware and uninstall the NV storage drivers then?
 
BronxBartoni said:
I will try and remove the NV storage drivers, Id really rather not take out 2 stick of ram, as I play BF2 most of the time, which loves the extra gb. Just go into add/remove hardware and uninstall the NV storage drivers then?

I think that should work. You'll want to backup anything important just in case and you may have to select the M$ driver when hardware is detected on the reboot. Also, I'm not really suggesting pulling the ram for good-just for testing to see if it affects anything. Are you using 2T timings? IIRC, Winchester's memory controller didn't like 4 dimms with 1T. Venice/San Diego are alright that way, but prior to that it didn't go well if memory serves me.
 
my cbbid 3200+ winchester did 2.5ghz...but needed 1.75v to get there! im really curious, why have you gotten a winchester now, why not venice? and im sorry to say, i highly doubt that chip will get you much on ebay. picking up an opteron, now THATS a good idea :p
 
Its nida of a old processor, got it right before the venice was realeased. I cant seem to find the NVIDIA hard drive controller, any ideas?

EDIT- Found it, im at a buddys on a LAN right now, without my windows DVD, any chance when I uninstall I wont be able to boot?
 
BronxBartoni said:
Its nida of a old processor, got it right before the venice was realeased. I cant seem to find the NVIDIA hard drive controller, any ideas?

EDIT- Found it, im at a buddys on a LAN right now, without my windows DVD, any chance when I uninstall I wont be able to boot?

It'll boot just fine unless you screw something up :p No, it'll work. Just go into the device manger and remove the driver for the hard drive controllers (all of them-it won't hurt performance, so don't worry about it-you just won't be able to use nV's fancy tools).

When you reboot, make sure to use the default M$ drivers.

I want to clarify that this should probably not be the first step that you take. You should go down to 1 or two sticks of ram, lower the ram divider to 100, 2T timings, HTT multi to 2 or 3 and make sure that your AGP frequency is 67. If that doesn't help, lower the CPU mulitplier to 5 and see if you get more FSB that way-if you do, you're CPU limited, bump up the voltage a little, go back to the stock multiplier and 166 ram divider w/ 2T and see how much you can get out of it.

There's a thread stickied in here and also a very good one on anandtech's OC forum re: Overclocking A64's. They're a little more complicated that some of the old-school CPU's and there's some nuance and art to it too.

Good luck to you and feel free to let us know your progress.
 
Ok, I just woke up from a mammoth BF2 session over the night. I appereciate all your help, im gonna give that a try in a lil bit and see if it helps any. Thanks alot man, youve helped me out plenty.
 
My winnie gets to 2.4 completely stable on a stock HSF with 1.53v...

I'm sure it'll go higher with a better HSF and more volts though, just don't feel like ripping my system apart considering I have an Opty170 on the way...
 
what bios? you may need to grab a diff bios. i know a few that i used and did decently with. but then again i had a real early 3200 winnie.
 
Back
Top