Too early for DX10 card?

Zekenstein

n00b
I was considering purchasing a beefy new DX10 card for my comp to last me a while. I realize the 8800 GTX just hit the market, and it's faster than a speeding bullet, but if I wait a couple of months will ATI or NVdia be releasing 1 GB DX10 cards? I don't want to buy this card and then have them release something 20% faster the next day.

ATI's DX10 card will supposedly have a 512 bit memory bus and may have 1GB of RAM, though nothing is certain. No information is currently available about nVidia's upcoming refresh(whenever that happens, if ever).

I agonized over this, upgrading from a 9800 NP AGP to my first PCI-E card.

I wanted 512 mb of video ram but didn't want to spend the 400 bucks it would take, only to end up with that much ram on a last-gen DX9 card. My only alternative was the 8800 but that's even more expensive, 500 bucks and up, up, up. But from reading the nvnews.net forum there are actually serious driver-related gaming issues in, not just Vista, but also WinXP. Finally decided to get a stopgap X1950 XT 256 meg for 200 on sale and just wait until R600.

Nothing's going to use DX10 for at least another three months anyways and the best is yet to come.

You can buy a nvidia card now then with the evga step up program you can return your card to them, and have that card's price go towards a new card of your choice, you pay the difference plus shipping.

There are a few drawbacks though.

-the process is somewhat lengthy
-they don't cross ship, so you'll be without a card for a week or 2
-you have 90 days from the purchase of your card to start the step up process, so hopefully nvidia will have a new card in 3 months
-you could always sell your card on ebay, so you wouldn't have to go through this process, but evga will give you full retail value of your old card unless you broke it somehow. On ebay you won't get full retail price for your card

i second the go with evga, i did.

I had a 7900GTX, then the 7950 hit the street, i upgraded to that, no problem.

Jalidi said:
Finally decided to get a stopgap X1950 XT 256 meg for 200 on sale and just wait until R600.

Where'd you get the 1950XT for $200? I've been looking for the last 2 weeks and the lowest is $250 right now at Newegg.

I looked at the program, I'm confused though, I have to apply to be in their program first and then buy from one of those approved vendors and I'm good?

Zekenstein said:
I looked at the program, I'm confused though, I have to apply to be in their program first and then buy from one of those approved vendors and I'm good?
You might get better answers if you post questions on their forum.

1) you have to buy an evga card from their list of sellers check out "where to buy"
2) then you apply for this program within 90 days of the video card your purchased, you register and whatnot
3) you play e-mail tag figuring out the price of your video card, how to ship it, and e-mailing them various invoices and infos
4) you mail them the card, they process it, then they send you a new card

then if the card you want to upgrade to is not in stock, you are put on a waiting list

Back