To use patch panels or not to use patch panels

killerasp

Gawd
Okay, i know that using patch panels in a computing enviroment with a large amount of computers is ideal. At my school they use it to wire each room in dorm to the network closet on each floor, from the patch panel to a switch then from there to the basement. But for an office with about 20 computers, would it be useful to install it? Right now its setup so that 10 computers go to one swtich, and from there one wire to the main switch. same for the other 10. It seems that patch panel in this case would just add more wires to the situation and not help it.

Well, patch panels are used to separate the wire runs from the switch to the wall jacks. That way, you don't have to add jacks to either end (since both are usually punched in). Of course, it is recommended since you'll probably change the wire run sometime in the future, but I guess it is really up to you.

I like using patch panels for the simle fact that they make wire management easier within your rackspace. At my home, where I only have 3 24 port patch panels, all wired directly to my switch, its much nicer to have people simply plug into the panel for lan parties and such....

where i work, its nice to have patch panels on both ends, on a core switch, and on a satellite switch....just is much much easier to keep wiring nice and neat and labeled, imo

i have no idea if there really is an advantage...its more of just an accepted standard perhaps :confused:

I did one small job of about 12 drops and ran every one of them directly into a 16-port switch, and now I wish I hadn't.

1) The job looks unprofessional.
2) It's difficult to quickly ascertain which port goes to which outlet.

There's a messy wad of cables that snake from the ceiling down to the switch, and it just looks BAD. I didn't use a patch panel on the first job I ever did, then learned my lesson. Don't make the same mistake, patch panels are CHEAP and it will only take you a little bit more time to terminate to them.

draconius said:
I like using patch panels for the simle fact that they make wire management easier within your rackspace. At my home, where I only have 3 24 port patch panels, all wired directly to my switch, its much nicer to have people simply plug into the panel for lan parties and such....

where i work, its nice to have patch panels on both ends, on a core switch, and on a satellite switch....just is much much easier to keep wiring nice and neat and labeled, imo

i have no idea if there really is an advantage...its more of just an accepted standard perhaps :confused:

I have 2-16port swtiches, 1-24port swtich. I plan on using the 24 port swtich as the core swtich b/c its a layer3 switch. In terms of patch panels, would you recommend getting 2-16 port patch panels or just one 48 port patch panel?

depends on cost, and the thought of future upgradeability...(sp?)
are you planning on adding more clients and drops in the future? then perhaps go for the 48, as that gives you a nice cushion of expansion room for the future.

I always like to plan for a bit more, so even with two 16's, thats a little bit of wiggle room in case you need to add more ports, or if you have some ports go bad and need to reterminate them on a new block on the patch panel...

draconius said:
depends on cost, and the thought of future upgradeability...(sp?)
are you planning on adding more clients and drops in the future? then perhaps go for the 48, as that gives you a nice cushion of expansion room for the future.

I always like to plan for a bit more, so even with two 16's, thats a little bit of wiggle room in case you need to add more ports, or if you have some ports go bad and need to reterminate them on a new block on the patch panel...

i was thinking of getting a patch panel for each switch that we have (16 port switch- 16 port patch panel)...would that be wrong to do?

ZeroX said:
I did one small job of about 12 drops and ran every one of them directly into a 16-port switch, and now I wish I hadn't.

1) The job looks unprofessional.
2) It's difficult to quickly ascertain which port goes to which outlet.

There's a messy wad of cables that snake from the ceiling down to the switch, and it just looks BAD. I didn't use a patch panel on the first job I ever did, then learned my lesson. Don't make the same mistake, patch panels are CHEAP and it will only take you a little bit more time to terminate to them.

^^^ This man speaks the truth. Having been on the opposite end of this equation it can be a royal bitch to fix. However, if you label the ports and cables correctly and have a good network diagram I see no reason you can't get away with not using a patch panel. But you MUST have good cable management practices.

Hmm, out of curiosity because I never looked before, where do you guys usually buy them?

I would recommend to use patch panels, mainly for when someone else has to work on the network, this way they can tell what they are dealing with. Labeling and careful installation of cables is extremely important. Even for very small jobs, like homes, with maybe 4 drops, I install a small patch panel in case they want to change something. I clearly label everything and document it. This leaves little room for error.

Just some thoughts
Jeff

Use a patch panel...not only does it help for organization, but consider this.

You used unstranded wiring for in-wall cabling. This is stiff and sturdy, but in-flexible. If a cable gets crimped going into the swtich or gets banged around, you have to rerun the entire cable. The advantage of a patch panel is that the in-wall wiring is separate, in-place, and static. Patch panel to swich uses stranded cables which are flexible and less likely to be damaged with movement or casual contact, plus much cheaper/easier to replace if necessary.

I have 8 drops in my house and use a patch panel.

Back