• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

To overclock, or not to overclock

Lemagra

n00b
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
11
Just got a new system put together and I am debating on overclocking.
As I have never done it before, I am requesting advice from all of you on what I should do, maybe even the specifics for a stable OC on various components.


CPU: Intel i7 2600k 3.4Ghz 3.8 turbo
MoBo: Asus p67 sabertooth
Vid: EVGA GTX 570 SC 1.2Gig
Mem: CORSAIR Vengeance (2x8Gig) 1600 DDR3
PSU: NZXT HALE90 850w
HDD: 120GB Patriot Wildfire SSD

There is a lot of airflow through the case
NZXT Phantom (3x200mm, 1x140mm, 2x120mm fans)..(not my fav case, but i got it real cheap - who can complain about 60$ ?)

I also have an intel liquid block on the chip (Intel BXRTS2011LC) which keeps the chip at 19-20°C at idle.

Havent really had the chance to put a full load on it yet, I just got it together lastnight.

I just dont want to burn it up on my first attempt, havent had a good pc in a while and I would hate to have to start over.

Thanks
 
Last edited:
OVERCLOCK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE 2600K IS MADE FOR OVERCLOCKING!!!!

Anyways. Your 2600k will probably easily do 4 ghz at stock voltage. The important thing is to not increase the voltage too much. Your chip is fine up to ~100 C loaded, but I personally wouldn't let it reach 80 C for a 24/7 overclock. You should be able to do at least 4.5 ghz with some voltage tweaking.
 
OVERCLOCK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE 2600K IS MADE FOR OVERCLOCKING!!!!

Anyways. Your 2600k will probably easily do 4 ghz at stock voltage. The important thing is to not increase the voltage too much. Your chip is fine up to ~100 C loaded, but I personally wouldn't let it reach 80 C for a 24/7 overclock. You should be able to do at least 4.5 ghz with some voltage tweaking.

Where should I begin? Im pretty unfamiliar with the GUI type BIOS on the board.
 
Go into the BIOS, change the Turbo Ratio (use the By All Cores settings) to 40 or 42 (or even 45 if you want) and leave everything else on Auto. The board should be able to handle overclocks up to about 4.5 with the voltages on Auto - you can tweak them later if you want, but it is a good start.

You can use IntelBurnTest to test for stability, monitor the frequency and voltage with CPU-Z, and monitor the temps with either CoreTemp or RealTemp.
 
Well, i will give that a shot and let you know how it runs.. after work that is :-X
 
YES! Overclock that motherfucker!

My Motherfucker is stable at 5.1Ghz. But I'm on motherfucking expensive water...
 
YES! Overclock that motherfucker!

My Motherfucker is stable at 5.1Ghz. But I'm on motherfucking expensive water...

I've been looking into that too, Im not sure there would be enough room inside the case for any more than a 2x120mm radiator.. unless i start cutting. The mobo I have has some mofset blocks, the chip and video card are easy to find. I think long term I'll end up having it on water, but i may need another case for that.
 
Overclock that bitch til it cries. It's easy to overclock with an unlocked processor so you shouldn't be afraid!!
 
This is [H] so the answer should be clear. Hell yes! Its easy and overclocks like a monster.

Realistically speaking do you NEED to overclock? Propably not at the moment cuz there are very few applications where it produces real life benefits. :)
 
Back
Top