Time to upgrade 5820k?

Wag

[H]ard|Gawd
5820k @ 4.3ghz on air.

Setup consists of basically a 1080Ti but I'm gaming at 4k so I feel like I'm pretty much pushing it on the newer games.

Everything else is good- plenty of ram, 960 Evo M2, etc, etc.

Use it basically for gaming and every day use.

The 5820k have life left in it?

I am not sure how to answer for you since I am not you as far as life left in it.

If all you do is gaming and everyday use there is a ton left in it but if you have the cash and the itch to get something new I recommend picking up an 8700k either used or new. If you are an extreme clock pusher then delid it with a rockit tool. Or just be happy with it. Should push that 1080ti very hard. And is future proof for at least 3 to 4 more years of gaming easy. No need to spend $500+ on a new 9900k over priced redunculous makes no sense at the price kind of chip.

If your not hell bent on Intel and with AMDs latest 2nd iteration of Ryzen I would get a 2600x and or a 2700x if you need 2 more cores. My 2950x (same cores as 2700x) sits at low usage while my 1080ti is pegged in many titles. Sure I dont get 300fps like a 9900k but I get 250+ fps so who can tell the difference really.

Either way you will be a happy person.

I’ll probably just wait one more generation, then upgrade everything. Was going to go 2080ti but it’s too expensive.

At 4k your GPU is going to hold you back more then the CPU unless it's a 120hz+ monitor.

5820k at 4.3 is solid. I'd stick with it for now. I can't see a reason to upgrade personally. As stated at 4k your CPU really isn't your main choke point.

Waiting another Gen or so would do you well, but I'd still upgrade the GPU first either way, and see if you're happy with that performance before changing platform entirely.

I recently upgraded from an overclocked 5820k to a 9900k, also have a 1080ti but running on 1440 resolution. I'm seeing much better performance in Battlefield 5, so worth it for me. Benchmark scores have improved a lot as well. Unless you're playing BF5 daily, I'd say wait for the next generation.

5820k at 4.3 is solid. I'd stick with it for now. I can't see a reason to upgrade personally. As stated at 4k your CPU really isn't your main choke point.

Waiting another Gen or so would do you well, but I'd still upgrade the GPU first either way, and see if you're happy with that performance before changing platform entirely.

That's pretty much what I had in mind but the price/performance value just isn't there with the 2080ti so I'll just wait out the next gen cpus/GPUs.

Back