Time on Laptop keeps changing

ReconSniper

[H]ard|Gawd
I have set my time and date on my laptop and it never seems to be right when I look at it. It is slow. I can set the time and in 5 minutes it will be wrong. I leave it turned on, with the screen open and no screensaver. I have the right time zone and date. What could be causing this? How do I fix it? Thanks in advance.

Laptop specs are:
HP pavilion ze4904us
celeron M
gig of ram
windows XP home

Sounds like your CMOS battery maybe going dead. Check your manual to see where it's located and what to get to replace it.

this is a brand new laptop. and its been doing it ever since i turned it on for the first time.

The time on my main rig kept slowing down and I ran all of my spyware/virus/trojan apps and found nada. This was about the time that I downloaded Microsoft's Anti-Spyware Beta, so I ran it and it found a no-name app running in the backgroung, it was deleted and the time has been normal ever since. YMMV

I just bought Norton Internet security, Im going to install it and see how it goes. Thanks.

well that didnt work. I think that it gets even slower when the screensaver goes on and the system goes into standby. I dont think it could be the cmos since it has been doing this for 2 months.

Time to call tech support then. It could be a hardware problem.

Back