thoughts on koolance

Stugots

Supreme [H]ardness
there are alot of koolance haters on this forum who swear by their DIY kits and say that the koolance product is trash and does not cool well. but in all the threads ive read with people bashing koolance and the debate going back and forth, ive never seen a person who owned a koolance unit say that it did not cool enough, people who own koolance units only say how happy they are with them and how great they are. and as for the other people with DIY kits, i have not seen one of them that has actually tried using the exos.

I give koolance alot of credit for developing their watercooling packages and selling them as kits. koolance has found a system that works and is efficient, not perfect, and just because they use 1/4 tubes vs. 3/8 or 1/2, and various other things people hate them.

as for me, im very pleased with my koolance unit, its been running for 2 months now with no problems at all, i have no complaints, and the highest ive ever seen my CPU through all the stress testing that ive done is 43C, and thats a reading touching the heat spreader.

Well, some koolance owners have been dissatisfied, and some have been very satisfied. I'm glad you are satisfied with your setup, that's all that matters.

Now keeping in mind how Koolance threads often end up, lets try to keep this one constructive and flame-free...

The original plan I had for my first WC was to buy a Koolance rig. This was before the EXOS was released. There was so much out there, and I hadn't done much research as to what fit where, what was good, and so on. Fortunately I delayed on purchasing a Koolance. I went with a DIY rig, opting for the flexibility of being able to select my own components.

Personally, I have no problem with the EXOS units. When people tell me they want to get their feet wet with WC, I suggest they check out Koolance, if they want an all-in-one solution. (Note, I said "check out" and not "buy"). But if they plan on doing some serious overclocking, I usually recommend a DIY.

AggieMEEN said:
The original plan I had for my first WC was to buy a Koolance rig. This was before the EXOS was released. There was so much out there, and I hadn't done much research as to what fit where, what was good, and so on. Fortunately I delayed on purchasing a Koolance. I went with a DIY rig, opting for the flexibility of being able to select my own components.

Personally, I have no problem with the EXOS units. When people tell me they want to get their feet wet with WC, I suggest they check out Koolance, if they want an all-in-one solution. (Note, I said "check out" and not "buy"). But if they plan on doing some serious overclocking, I usually recommend a DIY.

Well said, I have a slightly modded all in one system. Koolance does cool pretty well though, I have several friends that use them and are very happy with them. I'm using a base Corsair Hydrocool system with a Koolance GPU block. I gutted some of the internals out of the BOX it increase flow a bit ans changed out the Rad with a Black Ice extreme.............keeps my system plenty cool.

As for your SIG, that really a great saying from Stormin Norman.........My commander during the first Gulf War.

i was looking at getting the hydrocool unit before i bought my koolance, i like the enclosure of the koolance more than the corsair unit, and i think that the koolance has a more mature design since its been out longer

I have an old school koolance setup, and it works just fine.
Some people have a problem with the small tubing diameter, but my rig has always run plenty cool, even when I had my 2.26 running @ 2.8 (don't anymore because my stupid mobo doesnt have a lockdown and my peripherals dont like the increased freq).
Plus they are warrantied in case something fails.
The only complaint I have is the small case size, but they don't even make my model anymore, so thats not a problem.

Would I buy another? I dunno, I kinda would like to build my own, but I definitely would buy Koolance again...

i have a koolance case set up and well so far so good :)

its a great beginner set up i wanted to try watercooling

now i know next time it'll be either a dangerden style set up (possibly home made CPU block tried it before had no time) or if i get some money i'll get something that involves phase change

heres another thing i just thought of. most of the people who get koolance's buy them as their first watercooling setup. alot of people do not feel comfortable buying a DIY kit for their first kit, reguardless of how easy it may be, i know i wasnt. i have yet to see a person with experience with watercooling buy a koolance system.

I bought my system DIY and I was complet noob. It's not hard. I'm as uncoordinated as they come and i had no problems whatsoever. in fact, if you think about it, you still have to hook up hoses and crap for the koolance system, do you not? thats basically all I had to do (although I did have to mod the case, but thats something i was going to do anyway).

the thing that bothers me about koolance is that it makes n00bs feel that they cant do DIY so they have to buy premade. no, you dont. the only reason to ever buy a koolance is if you dont want to mod your system, you dont care about performance, and you dont mind spending 2x the cost.

i dont believe that koolance makes people think they cant make a DIY kit. what made me lose confidence in making a diy kit was that everytime i asked what components i should by, everyone had different opinions, and it usually led to an argument about something stupid like pumps or waterblocks. the koolance unit gave me confidence because all the blocks, pumps, radiator, housing, is all from koolance. i didnt have to worry about going with one company for my waterblocks, another for a pump, and dig in a junk yard for a radiator.

acascianelli said:
i dont believe that koolance makes people think they cant make a DIY kit. what made me lose confidence in making a diy kit was that everytime i asked what components i should by, everyone had different opinions, and it usually led to an argument about something stupid like pumps or waterblocks. the koolance unit gave me confidence because all the blocks, pumps, radiator, housing, is all from koolance. i didnt have to worry about going with one company for my waterblocks, another for a pump, and dig in a junk yard for a radiator.

you never have to

you can get complete DIY kits from dangerden, dtek, switftech, all the big makers. i usually discourage people not to get them and instead select their components so they dont get anything they dont need (again, everything can be gotten from ONE web site, my first setup was all from dangerden), but if you want, you can go to one of their kit builders and pick out things you want from whats offered.

http://www.dangerden.com/mall/kits.asp

/edit: ok the dtek kit sucks and swiftech doesnt have one. but you get what i mean, everything from one website, everything supported by that one website

Back