• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

this vs that

Joined
Nov 22, 2005
Messages
677
Right now I have a g6950 Intel Pentium dual core 2.8ghz CPU in my HTPC.

If I am going to add a Ceton tuner (4 cable streams) and add blu ray playback capability, and stream DVD's over the home network. Is this an okay processor?

If not, what is my best choice from Newegg?
 
Right now I have a g6950 Intel Pentium dual core 2.8ghz CPU in my HTPC.

If I am going to add a Ceton tuner (4 cable streams) and add blu ray playback capability, and stream DVD's over the home network. Is this an okay processor?

If not, what is my best choice from Newegg?

Probably overkill. From what I have read I believe the Centon does most of the video coding work itself and the bitrate used for cable HD isn't very stressful. Could be a bigger issue for tuners not using a cable card. For Bluray, I think it matters more of what video card you are using. A HD5k or HD6k card can do GPU accelerated BD format playbacks and does audio pass-through on its HDMI connectors. Getting a mid-level 5k card for $75-$100 should take care of any playback worries.
 
I do already have an HD5450 that is running on the HTPC now.

Was just checking on the cpu part.

Yeah that tuner and a 5k part should cover most of the work, could probably be done by an Atom at that point. But whatever incidentals you run into during the setup a near 3Ghz C2D will be more then enough.
 
Back
Top