Thinking of setting up a domain at home.

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
My wife is not getting into the server side of the IT world, so I've been thinking about setting up a domain at home. I'm okay with the client side, but I'm stuck on all the servers of Server 2008 that are available. Unless I'm missing something, SBS and EBS seem like overkill for a small domain. We don't need any Exchange functionality, but I probably would set up an Intranet using some form of Sharepoint, just so I can get more experience with it. Is R2 our best bet, or is that even overkill compared to what plain old Server 2008 would do for us? I realize R2 only comes in x64, but that won't be a problem (specs to follow). We'll also leave our router to handle DHCP. Okay, on to the relevant info.

The "server" specs are a Dell Optiplex GX520, with a Pentium D 820, 2 GB memory, and at least an 80 GB drive. That's well above the minimum for any versions. Storage isn't an issue, because we do have a WHS box as well.

The clients systems are all running Windows 7, but two will need to be upgraded from Home Premium to Pro. I doubt there's a way to incorporate WHS into a domain, so that will be left as is. Cost isn't an issue for the server OS, either, because of a TechNet sub.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

I would just install 2008 R2 Enterprise since cost is not an issue. You don't have to activate any roles you won't use, but they are available later if you want.

I'm using Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard for my home domain controller. Pretty dang easy to set up once everything was installed and was up and running about fifteen minutes after installing the OS.

R2 is all around a much better OS than Windows Server 2008, so if you can go for it, go for it.

I'm looking up my drivers now, so is R2 based on Vista, or Windows 7? I'm thinking Vista, if I have my timelines right in my head. I installed it from a flash drive, since the GX520 only as a CD-ROM in it, and the install went very quick. It seems to be quite snappy as well.

I'm looking up my drivers now, so is R2 based on Vista, or Windows 7? I'm thinking Vista, if I have my timelines right in my head. I installed it from a flash drive, since the GX520 only as a CD-ROM in it, and the install went very quick. It seems to be quite snappy as well.

R2 is based on Win 7.

Oh, didn't catch that. Now I feel even better about using it! I'll redownload my drivers!

Any suggestions for server-based AV apps, preferably free?

Oh, didn't catch that. Now I feel even better about using it! I'll redownload my drivers!

Any suggestions for server-based AV apps, preferably free?

I've never found any free ones for a server OS thus why WHS is shit out of luck.

Back