Thinking of Redoing my rig with AC gear..

DFI Daishi said:
i would LOVE to see a review of the A-C block that uses the known flow characteristics for an eheim 1046 and 1048, along with coolant flow and thermal results for the block on a thermal die, with what say 10' of tubing thrown in. that would give me the kinds of numbers that i find interesting/informative. add a known pressure drop from a GPU block or a chipset block, and then you can start to see what is going on, and how much cooling various components are getting.

If you know of someone who has that capability in the western hemisphere please let me know.

Top Nurse said:
If you know of someone who has that capability in the western hemisphere please let me know.
unfortunately, i don't know anyone who can do that in this hemisphere.

cathar did the chart at the end of this (often cited) review of the G5, which does exactly what i am talking about: http://www.procooling.com/index.php?func=articles&disp=91

pick off where the curve for the block intersects the curve of the pump you are interested in, to find out how much flow the block should be getting in the noted loop (with 10 feet of tubing and a 2x120 mm rad) and then head over to the cooling vs flow curve and plug in the flow rate you picked off of of the first chart to know roughly how well that pump and block combo should do.

that is his own block, and i don't think that he'd do anyone else's, even if the manufacturer asked him to. maybe someone else from procooling could/would......i don't know.

Even if the XT were to be tested in a 1/2" loop how would that at all be a bad thing? If anything it would increase the performance of the XT, it certainly wouldn't decrease it. Therefore testing the XT on a larger bore setup favors the XT....

Erasmus354 said:
Even if the XT were to be tested in a 1/2" loop how would that at all be a bad thing? If anything it would increase the performance of the XT, it certainly wouldn't decrease it. Therefore testing the XT on a larger bore setup favors the XT....

Sorry no banana here. ;) Actually it would decrease performance. The Cuplex XT has a G 1/8 thread on it so the maximum tube size is 10mm ID and if you look at the ID of the 10mm fitting bore it is not a straight through shot. Besides no one who runs an XT will want to slap a 1/2" tube on it as it would just look plain fugly. :D

What we AC users want to see is data that reflects the intended use of the block. IOW, we want real world data on the way we will use it. That primarily means 6mm, 8mm, and 10mm ID tubing.

Top Nurse said:
Sorry no banana here. ;) Actually it would decrease performance. The Cuplex XT has a G 1/8 thread on it so the maximum tube size is 10mm ID and if you look at the ID of the 10mm fitting bore it is not a straight through shot. Besides no one who runs an XT will want to slap a 1/2" tube on it as it would just look plain fugly. :D

What we AC users want to see is data that reflects the intended use of the block. IOW, we want real world data on the way we will use it. That primarily means 6mm, 8mm, and 10mm ID tubing.

Larger tubing doesn't decrease performance, although the inability to attach a larger fitting might pose a problem (if ever so slight, there are ways to attach 1/2" tubing to smaller barbs). We know that SystemCooling has the ability to test 10mm (3/8" not 1/2" as lee seems to think ;) ) so that isn't a problem.

In the end the tubing size is not the issue, it is the flow. The only thing a different tubing size will reflect is a different flow. As long as he can get the block hooked up to the test rig (which he can since we know he can do 10mm) then that is all you need.

Let me repeat myself:

"What we AC users want to see is data that reflects the intended use of the block. IOW, we want real world data on the way we will use it. That primarily means 6mm, 8mm, and 10mm ID tubing."

We don't care particulary what it will do with 1/2" tubing. :)

Erasmus354 said:
Larger tubing doesn't decrease performance, although the inability to attach a larger fitting might pose a problem (if ever so slight, there are ways to attach 1/2" tubing to smaller barbs). We know that SystemCooling has the ability to test 10mm (3/8" not 1/2" as lee seems to think ;) ) so that isn't a problem.

In the end the tubing size is not the issue, it is the flow. The only thing a different tubing size will reflect is a different flow. As long as he can get the block hooked up to the test rig (which he can since we know he can do 10mm) then that is all you need.
I had to take you off ignore because you simple are talking out the side of your head right now.

Flow is part of what makes a block perform but does not equate to instant performance. More important is how well a block removes the heat from the core and in return how well the water removes the heat from the block. You can have all the flow in the world but if the block is not removing heat, what good is flow? All blocks are designed with a "flow" goal. Some might want the water in the block for longer periods to try to remove as much heat from the block as possible.

The G4-G7 blocks are designed to work with tubing that ranges from 7/8" all the way down to 3/8" so what does that tell you when you test with 1/2" and the user buys it with 3/8" barbs? AC blocks are designed to work with 6-8mm tubing so how justified is it to use 3/8" or 1/2"?

Again, what the hell is it going to tell a user when Systemcooling uses a bastard tubing converting to 3/8" or 1/2" when the purchaser will be installing 6mm-8mm tubing? NOTHING. Now take into consideration this "test" will be using a different pump and 120.1 type radiator, what will that tell us about how well it will perform in an all AC configuration? NOTHING. 90 percent of the AC users have 120.2 and better radiators...... Take mine for example. Aquastream pump, Thermochill PA120.2 radiator, CuplexXT. The average user on this forum is either using an EVO240 or BIX 120.2 type radiator.

R1ckCa1n said:
I had to take you off ignore because you simple are talking out the side of your head right now.

Flow is part of what makes a block perform but does not equate to instant performance. More important is how well a block removes the heat from the core and in return how well the water removes the heat from the block. You can have all the flow in the world but if the block is not removing heat, what good is flow? All blocks are designed with a "flow" goal. Some might want the water in the block for longer periods to try to remove as much heat from the block as possible.

The G4-G7 blocks are designed to work with tubing that ranges from 7/8" all the way down to 3/8" so what does that tell you when you test with 1/2" and the user buys it with 3/8" barbs? AC blocks are designed to work with 6-8mm tubing so how justified is it to use 3/8" or 1/2"?

Again, what the hell is it going to tell a user when Systemcooling uses a bastard tubing converting to 3/8" or 1/2" when the purchaser will be installing 6mm-8mm tubing? NOTHING. Now take into consideration this "test" will be using a different pump and 120.1 type radiator, what will that tell us about how well it will perform in an all AC configuration? NOTHING. 90 percent of the AC users have 120.2 and better radiators...... Take mine for example. Aquastream pump, Thermochill PA120.2 radiator, CuplexXT. The average user on this forum is either using an EVO240 or BIX 120.2 type radiator.

You just dont get it do you....

Yes some blocks are designed to work well at low flow rates. That does not change the fact that EVERY SINGLE BLOCK EVER MADE AND EVERY BLOCK THAT EVER WILL BE MADE PERFORMS BETTER WITH MORE FLOW. Find me a single block that performs worse when it gets more flow. There is none, it goes against the laws of physics. Now as I was saying. The tubing size doesn't matter when testing a block. What is important is the flow going through the block. That gives you your C/W vs. Flow and all that other jazz. This can be used to evaluate the performance of the block regardless of the tubing size used in the test bench.

As I said, the only thing the tubing size changes is the flow you will see in your actual loop, they are really a non-factor in the test bench. Smaller tubing = less flow = less performance, the disclaimer to all of this is that the differences could be slight.

Now please, instead of insulting me try to understand what I am typing the first time.

Top Nurse said:
Well I have 120.1's, but I got three of them all on separate loops. :D

That is because you are too cheap to buy larger radiators ;)

Erasmus354 said:
You just dont get it do you....

Yes some blocks are designed to work well at low flow rates. That does not change the fact that EVERY SINGLE BLOCK EVER MADE AND EVERY BLOCK THAT EVER WILL BE MADE PERFORMS BETTER WITH MORE FLOW. Find me a single block that performs worse when it gets more flow. There is none, it goes against the laws of physics. Now as I was saying. The tubing size doesn't matter when testing a block. What is important is the flow going through the block. That gives you your C/W vs. Flow and all that other jazz. This can be used to evaluate the performance of the block regardless of the tubing size used in the test bench.

As I said, the only thing the tubing size changes is the flow you will see in your actual loop, they are really a non-factor in the test bench. Smaller tubing = less flow = less performance, the disclaimer to all of this is that the differences could be slight.

Now please, instead of insulting me try to understand what I am typing the first time.
So how does this show how the block will perform with 6-8mm tubing and an aquastream type pump? Your not getting the point. Your too interesting to attaching a garden hose to it and applying as much pressure as possible. That is not what this block is designed for nor does it represent real world performance.

R1ckCa1n said:
That is because you are too cheap to buy larger radiators ;)

Hey! :eek: It looks sweeter with the three separate BI Pro rads, Aquastream pump's, and Aquatube's. :D

Besides I do happen to have both a 240 and a 360 Evo rad sitting in my junk box just waiting to get slapped in my PC-70. :p

R1ckCa1n said:
So how does this show how the block will perform with 6-8mm tubing and an aquastream type pump? Your not getting the point. Your too interesting to attaching a garden hose to it and applying as much pressure as possible. That is not what this block is designed for nor does it represent real world performance.

Ummm, maybe because when they test the CPU they manually restrict the flow to a variety of flow rates? Hence you pick out on the curve where your flow rate would be and voila! There you go. Just because you are using larger tubing does not mean it has the be high flow. Did you think that to obtain those nifty flow curve charts they switched out the tubing to different sizes to obtain a lower flow?

Back