Thinking of Overclocking

Relentless3O

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
129
Ive read and understand the basics of overclocking. it seems a good idea as in if something dies, I have warranties on all my computer parts, and here are the specs

AMD A64 3200+ Venice
Asus A8V Mobo
1 gig of gigaram (2 x 512), .25 gigs of old stuff, found it and put it in and it works great :D
Seagate 7200 rpm 120gb SATA hdd
some old WD 60gig hdd for my OS
ati radeon x700 (HIS IceQ)
NEC dvd/cd rw/r-dl/cdrom ultra

Im thinking of overclocking my processor/video card, so I can rub it in my alienware-reliable friend's face. IS this a smart idea? I have stock cooling, could buy a nicer CPU fan and or some nicer case fans. over all circulation is very good, never gets to hot I dont think. Ill check temps to update. Basically post all that can go wrong and the enviroment I should try it in, and if it is worth the lower life expectancy of my hardware.
 
If you dont go crazy with it youll be fine.
If i read correctly you are running 2x512 and an additional 256. That third stick might cause problems. First off your arent running in dual channel anymore because it only works with like memory modules in sets of 2. It also can make for some unstable overclocks. Ditch the extra 256 stick.
You may be fine with the stock heatsink if your temps are good and your case has decent airflow. I have a zalman 7000 hsf and it works great. But my venice 3200 only hits 2.5ghz, without giving it crazy voltages.
***Warranties dont cover overcloking related damage. They wont give you a replacement if you fry your stuff.
 
nah, I dont have a 256 stick, its two 128 sticks that I found laying around maybe from my last computer, basically saying I can OC them too? I have a Xion II http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811208006 <--Linky It has very good airflow let me see my temps now and ill update. What specifics should I look at when I overclock?

35.5 At Idle when I booted BIOS, seems right, may be lieing, who knows. I dont get a load temp yet. Comp is in sig btw.
 
Back
Top