Thinking getting Thermaltake Big water SE as my first WC kit

DFI Daishi said:
okay then. no, i have not used a thermaltake bigwater kit of any sort.

every thermaltake product that i have ever had the misfortune of being near while it was running was cheaply built and much louder than advertised. i won't buy a thermaltake product anytime in the near future because of their track record.

so, would you be honest and tell me if you have used a well put together watercooling kit, to give you a good basis for comparison to the bigwater?

To be honest i never used any other water cooling kit.

annaconda said:
To be honest i never used any other water cooling kit.
so then, your basis for comparison is air cooling, and the Tt bigwater does better than the air cooling you have tried.

that is fair, i just wanted to be clear that you did not have the experience to say that in your particular case going from premium gear to a bigwater did not negatively impact you performance. this is the argument that some prominant A-C users put forward.

to be fair, your kit performs on par with A-C gear, but costs a whole lot less.

also to be fair, i consider that to be a compromised level of performance.

i hope that one day you put yourself together a really nice custom loop, just so that you can appreciate the differences between the premium brands and Tt. it's not always a big deal in terms of raw temps, but the gear has a really solid and well built look, feel and heft to it in person.

of course, well before that, i hope that you get that ultra PSU out of there, just for the long term saftey of your hardware, but that's another issue.

sabrewolf732 said:
The newer ultras are actually manufactured by a well respected 3rd party, wintech.
ah......no more dipping below 3 volts on the 3.3 rail when running heavy load then?

DFI Daishi said:
ah......no more dipping below 3 volts on the 3.3 rail when running heavy load then?

Yeah, their old units were crappy. Forgot who made them.

sabrewolf732 said:
Yeah, their old units were crappy. Forgot who made them.

The old 2004 X-Connect's are made by Wintech.
The 2005 X-connects are made by Taiwan YoungYear.
The old, and new, x-finities are made by Wintech.
The X2-connect's are made by Wintech.

Bbq said:
The old 2004 X-Connect's are made by Wintech.
The 2005 X-connects are made by Taiwan YoungYear.
The old, and new, x-finities are made by Wintech.
The X2-connect's are made by Wintech.

Yeah, the young years were bad.

DFI Daishi said:
just to note: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566&highlight=reccomended+PSU

is one of the things that i generally look at when i seen a PSU that is not familiar to me.

my enermax server supply has severed me very well, and i'd be prohibitively expensive to get a zippy up here, and fortrons are few and far between. PCP&C........that'd run as much as the video card upgrade that i want but can't afford to get.

Zippy, I've never seen in Canada.
Fortron, try NCIX.
PCP&C, Never seen here.

Where in canada do you live?

This thread reads like "Which is faster, a Corvair or a Vega?"
These low price/easy install kits do what they're supposed to do...cool a stock CPU/GPU..
Other higher priced/harder to install/more efficient user assembled systems will overclock much higher.

billb said:
This thread reads like "Which is faster, a Corvair or a Vega?"
These low price/easy install kits do what they're supposed to do...cool a stock CPU/GPU..
Other higher priced/harder to install/more efficient user assembled systems will overclock much higher.

Not neccesarily, they actually cool a bit better than good air that you can oc with. But with great water, you can get that custom factor and a level of quality you can't get with a pre configged kit.Along with quietness and unparralelled temps (excluding subambient cooling of course)

DFI Daishi said:
so then, your basis for comparison is air cooling, and the Tt bigwater does better than the air cooling you have tried.

that is fair, i just wanted to be clear that you did not have the experience to say that in your particular case going from premium gear to a bigwater did not negatively impact you performance. this is the argument that some prominant A-C users put forward.

to be fair, your kit performs on par with A-C gear, but costs a whole lot less.

also to be fair, i consider that to be a compromised level of performance.

i hope that one day you put yourself together a really nice custom loop, just so that you can appreciate the differences between the premium brands and Tt. it's not always a big deal in terms of raw temps, but the gear has a really solid and well built look, feel and heft to it in person.

of course, well before that, i hope that you get that ultra PSU out of there, just for the long term saftey of your hardware, but that's another issue.

I'll be able to offer a good comparison of premium air to cheap watercooling, because I'm tired of my XP-120 that seriously sucks (panaflo 120mm fan, getting 38c idle 58c load, 3800X2 @ 2.6). We'll see how the Bigwater SE handles it.

I just need a temp probe, fucking Fry's doesn't sell one :(

This has been reported as a problem, I failed to listen and used two of them one which failed. I think the acrylic is just not good quality. Does not mean their other parts such but the blocks do.

I have a big water SE and a TT VGA cooling block with Zalaman heat sinks on the memory chips, in the same loop. It seems decent. But after running it for 3 months, it performs ok but I think a custom build would have been the way to go. The BigWater's reservoir is kinda a pain to refill(unscrew holder pull out, etc). I had some debris(lack of what it really was) show up in the loop recently. Should have flushed the system before running it. But that was the only issue I have had. I idle @ 31 and max @ 42. Bigwater SE is a good learning system for water cooling but beyond that I feel a custom build would have been much better. To sum up I have really had no problems with it except the debris. Hope you enjoy your Bigwater and that is runs smoothly.

Oh yeah and a Flow indicator might be a good idea.

/wink

probably algae, it is probably time to flush your loop. I had a exos 1 for my beginning water cooling days. Now I (will have a storm on monday). :D Also I had to flush my exos everyonce in awhile as well (actually everyone flushes their system everyonce in awhile, I hope :eek: ).

Sidecomments, the exos block did very good, it was constructed well and still works after 2 years. No cracks or anything.

Anyways I put the sucker on a p4 3.6 do stepping es. (if anyone thinks there processor is warm they should try one of these, or the 8xx processors. You'll understand the word hot). Anyways the exos was on a 2.4 c before this and it hit 3.3 (motherboard limitation). So I moved it to the p4 3.6 es (had to get that stupid adapter and solid copper plate) I was getting temps in the upper sixties on dual stress testing and couldn't figure out why. Well I cleaned my radiator, lol. I saw a drop in temps dramatically. LoL. So after all of this chit chat and being off topic, don't forget to dust off your radiator everyonce in awhile.

Maybe I will do a comparison for you guys next week sometime. What does everyone think? To bad I don't have a thermaltake se or a bigwater. Oh well.

Back