Think my router's dying,might need a new one...recommendations?

TSx

Gawd
I'm currently using a wired Linksys BEFSR41 router that's been going strong for around two years. I switched from dsl to cable about two weeks ago and all was well using the rental modem from Charter Communications. I decided I'd use my $30 GC at Amazon and pick up the BEFCMU10 I think it was cable modem since it was already on sale. I got that, hooked it up, and had nothing but problems. I was being disconnected every hour or two, sometimes less sometimes more. I called linksys about 4 times trying different things but to no avail. I finally unplugged the router and had the modem go straight to the computer...and it still disconnected me. I was just losing net connection and I'd have to unplug and replug in the modem and it'd be back up again.

So I decided to return that modem as it was being a pain in the ass, and right now I have the Motorola SB4101 Charter provdided me with. I'm planning on getting the Motorola SB5100 from Amazon once my gift card is credited back. However the last few days I've been disconnecting again. It has only happened the last three times while I've had a torrent going. Unfortunately the game company only made this game DL available via torrents so I have to keep trying. I've been connected for almost 11 hours now without losing connection and had the torrent going, however the router isn't plugged in. I'm going modem directly to computer.

Seeing as it had disconnected me at most after 3 hours before, I think my router may be causing some problems and/or going bad. If this is the case, I guess I'll be forced to get a new one. And if so, I have no idea what's good or what's not now. I definitely need wired, and basically just need one that will support 4 computers and work good with the Motorola cable modems.

Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

Its not your router its the NIC. I had this problem it ended up being the cheap POS Netgear FA311TX I switched to a Linksys 10/100 nic and all the problems went away. I beleave it has to do with all the open connections that a torrent creates by default its upwards of 50 i think.

I'm using onboard lan from my MSI K8T Neo-FSR, and hadn't had any problems until recently. I've got the router unplugged right now and have been connected for 31 hours and 51 minutes without an interrupt, so I'm still leaning towards router at this point.

some routers have this thing that if there is high upload they restart. ;)

My linksys router does it

I've always been a fan of Netgear routers, but due to some recent security issues I'm reconsidering that. I'm looking to D-Link for my next router, partly due to there wireless AP line is solid and with the addition of wireless repeaters they are slowly becoming the standard. Then again if you need just a wired router then almost any D-Link router that has been out for a couple months should be fine.

Back