Think i got a worm or something, all my mydoc filers were deleted

jeff1941

Weaksauce
Im using windows xp pro sp2 with all updates. Using mcafee virusscan and firewall with lastest updates. Also running ad aware pro with ad-watch on. All lastest update. I dont know what happened but all my "my document" files were deleted. THe last few things i was doing was using webroot window washer to clean my history and downloading some torrents using bitcomet. When i was shutting down, i got this end task and debug errors, i clicked on end task and cancel,etc... Then it shutted down fine and when i went to turn it on next day, all my doc gone. I tried using some file recovery programs, only got some stuff back but i didnt realyl lose anything important since i back up every once in a while. Im just curious was it a worm or something? also my webroot program got deleted and some files were still in the folder but doesnt work. Should i format my comp? Also i scanned the comp for viruses and spyware in windows and safe mode, nothing popped up...

Certainly could have been a worm or virus....when you use those peer to peer programs, you're at high risk, many files that you "think" are just songs, movies, software, etc....will often have extra baggage along with them that is not so desirable. ;)

I'd get a few online scans done from some better antivirus software, you can do free online scans as Kaspersky, Eset, and BitDefender.

Thats why i dont use limewire. I usually only download anime and manga fansub torrents. Im usually careful when it comes to what pages and what i download.

Back