• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Thermaltake Products

4PLaY

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
71
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Thermaltake is never first in any product innovation.

They constantly keep tabs on other companies like Thermalright, Coolermaster, Chieftec, and others, copied or modified. Their products are copies or suped up versions of other companies products. Indeed they have products that perform well and look good, but I just hate supporting companies that has little or at most no inventions of their own.

Take for example:
Coolermaster WaveMaster PC case = Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
Coolermaster Cavalier PC case = Thermaltake Soprano Mid Tower Series
Coolermaster CM Stacker = Thermaltake Armor PC case

Thermalright Heatsinks = Thermaltake volcano heatsinks

Thermalright Thought it a great idea to use heatpipes on a a copperblock and Aluminum Fins and make a huge monster with the XP-120 to use 120mm Fan, and so thermaltake not one to be outdone create the SonicTower. Sheesh.

Chieftec makes good OEM cases that scream for MODS, I like the Dragon series which was the classic Alienware Case, they were pretty popular a few years back, then came the Xaxer series from Thermaltake. These guys just keep going and going and going.

Any thoughts anyone?
 
I don't like Tt because of their false ratings on their fans (21dBA for all sorts of models, anyone?) and their heatsink designs are mostly rip-offs of competitors'. Their stuff isn't cheap either.
 
Focker said:
Who cares really? That's what capitalism is all about.

Well.. I care, in a small city here in the philippines, people using Tt products can claim to be elite. Dang. nobody knows what my XP-120 really is, and brushed it off as a cheap alternative because it was nickel colored, not the elite copper that everyone is using now. Oh don't get me wrong there is quite a handful of people who knows their stuff and knows what they are doing, but then again, I really compete with the majority.
 
I buy things becuase they work, not becuase someone else it going to know what I am using.
 
how would you describe the quality of their products? are they cheap imitations of other competitors? do they support their products well? do their products work as well or better than a similar product mfg'ed by a competitor? i think all of these things have to be considered.
 
4PLaY said:
Well.. I care, in a small city here in the philippines, people using Tt products can claim to be elite. Dang. nobody knows what my XP-120 really is, and brushed it off as a cheap alternative because it was nickel colored, not the elite copper that everyone is using now. Oh don't get me wrong there is quite a handful of people who knows their stuff and knows what they are doing, but then again, I really compete with the majority.

Who cares dude? Is bragging rights over a heatsink really that important? lol

I have a Thermaltake Tsunami which i just currently sold and its a really nice case. Even though it looks alot like the Wavemaster it still has its differences like more tooless features and 120mm fans. It also has the blue LED lights in the front door.

Thermaltake does copy alot of things others have pioneered but some people like the little extra ghetto bling bling that Thermaltake adds to their products.

Some of Thermaltakes products are pure crap though like the Xcontroller.
 
I'm loving my 420w Tt PSU that I got from newegg for $40. Anyone else have any experiences with their Tt PSU's? Mine seems to ride the rails just fine and the thing is pretty quiet too, considering it has two fans inside it.
 
Jeriko_Cherry said:
I'm loving my 420w Tt PSU that I got from newegg for $40. Anyone else have any experiences with their Tt PSU's? Mine seems to ride the rails just fine and the thing is pretty quiet too, considering it has two fans inside it.
The guys in the PSU forum throw rocks at 'em, and I'm not sure why. They are re-badged Enlights which have proven themself in our lab here. I've probably turned on 60+ Enlight supplies and can't recall one biting the dust.

I ran the same Tt 420 watt supply in my #1 rig until I upgraded to the system in the sig. Rails were spot on under load....fine by me.

Regards - B.B.S.
 
Buying ThermalTake products is like buying a Korean car. Both look nice and seem to perform as well as their counterparts at first glance, for less money. So you buy one and you realize once you dig a little deeper that they cut a lot of corners and that you could've just bought a better product and paid a little more.

But then you take solace in the thought that you didn't pay as much as the other guy and it performs "almost" as good as the better product. Then it starts falling apart and having problems and you just can't honestly delude yourself into thinking anymore that you made a good buying decision.

Examples used in above description: TT Tsunami case and KIA Sportage... your milage may vary (pun intended)
 
BlindedByScience said:
The guys in the PSU forum throw rocks at 'em, and I'm not sure why. They are re-badged Enlights which have proven themself in our lab here. I've probably turned on 60+ Enlight supplies and can't recall one biting the dust.

I ran the same Tt 420 watt supply in my #1 rig until I upgraded to the system in the sig. Rails were spot on under load....fine by me.

Regards - B.B.S.


Cool, thanks for the info. Makes me feel a little better about my purchase knowing someone has used them before with success.
 
BlindedByScience said:
The guys in the PSU forum throw rocks at 'em, and I'm not sure why. They are re-badged Enlights which have proven themself in our lab here. I've probably turned on 60+ Enlight supplies and can't recall one biting the dust.
Enlights are re-badged Sirtecs, who is the manufacturer. While not bad, I've seen first hand at how bad the Silent Purepower models are... they're anything but silent, and run really hot relative to the competitors. A lot of their high-wattage models (i.e. their 480W models) come rated at 18A, which is really low for the amount of wattage it is rated at.
 
I use a thermaltake fanless103.
Its not a ripoff of anyone else's design for what I can remember.

I agree that a lot of Tt stuff has been done before, but I actually like this. There is always at least one thing I would change when I see a product out. This is when Tt usually steps in.
 
Well, everyone has a point, I never said they don't work, some of them even work better than others, as far as the bling bling is concerned, it's a matter of personal taste, IMHO Tt overdoes it, but that's just me :). As far as I can tell, bragging rights is all that important in a LanParty/PC modder/enthusiast crowd. and Yes I buy products for their functionality too, not that people should know what I have. Oh and yeah, can anyone here tell me that I picked wrong when I bought my Thermalright XP-120?? hehehe!! :) Anyone?!
 
_Korruption_ said:
Enlights are re-badged Sirtecs, who is the manufacturer. While not bad, I've seen first hand at how bad the Silent Purepower models are... they're anything but silent, and run really hot relative to the competitors. A lot of their high-wattage models (i.e. their 480W models) come rated at 18A, which is really low for the amount of wattage it is rated at.
Mine is completely silent and very cool.
 
4PLaY said:
Oh and yeah, can anyone here tell me that I picked wrong when I bought my Thermalright XP-120?? hehehe!! :) Anyone?!
Umm, Thermalright and Thermaltake are two different companies.

I'd take a Thermalright heatsink everytime... in fact, I'm using a XP-90 right now :eek:
 
Yes, my point exactly! :) I know I have a Thermalright, and not a single Thermaltake Product in my rig. :)
 
I have an TT Shark Case, and was the latest best investment i´ve made. Of course it has
some bad products, name one that hasnt. All of them have good and bad stuff. And i think also that we should trust in the companies that has a good rate of good hardware, right?
Like Thermaltke. :)
 
4PLaY said:
Yes, my point exactly! :) I know I have a Thermalright, and not a single Thermaltake Product in my rig. :)

Thats great dude but i still dont see the point in your thread. Bashing Thermaltake isn't going to do anything except offend the people that use their products. This topic has been debated before in other threads and its pointless. If you dont like the product dont buy it.
 
burningrave101 said:
Bashing Thermaltake isn't going to do anything except offend the people that use their products. This topic has been debated before in other threads and its pointless. If you dont like the product dont buy it.


QFT...
 
Professionally, I am not too fond of TT's PSUs. Though I do use a TT 560 as one of the spares, I am not too overly thrilled with the performance. 22amps on the +12v rail is just not enough for anything than a basic setup for general purpose use.

I also believe the SonicTower was prdouced for the 'I got the biggest' aspect of bragging rights. Almost like the common thing with some (notice I said some) women pertaining to a guy owning a truck with big ass tires on it. :p Even though the HS does deliver decent cooling performance, it's much too cumbersome for many motherboards. I could not see putting that HS on any system that I build; overclocked or not.

Now, just to be fair, there are many decent items in their product lines. Take for instance the HardCano series of multifunction panels. Style and functionality all in one package. Some of the earlier HSF were also quite functional without the bulkiness.

Disclaimer: These opinions based upon experience of using Thermaltakes products in various implementations; both in professional and personal use.
 
AceGoober said:
I also believe the SonicTower was prdouced for the 'I got the biggest' aspect of bragging rights. Almost like the common thing with some (notice I said some) women pertaining to a guy owning a truck with big ass tires on it. :p Even though the HS does deliver decent cooling performance, it's much too cumbersome for many motherboards. I could not see putting that HS on any system that I build; overclocked or not.


It was produced to cool well and at the same time be completely silent. It is big, it may not fit on every board, but it has to be that big to achieve the level of cooling needed to be silent. That is obvious.
 
Back
Top