thermal paste w/ slk 900A?

Dome

2[H]4U
i was looking at a review and it shows that you need foam pads to keep the pressure even on the core, and was wondering if it doesn't sit even w/out the foam pads, where would i put the paste?

sorry i'm new, and i suppose i'll figure it out when i get the computer in a week, but i just thought i'd ask

Where would you put the paste, if you didn't have the pads?

The pads only balance the heat sink on the die.

put a dab on the cpu, then mount the sink. Take it off, and you've got your position.

oh so the pads sit between the bottom of the heat sink and the top of the die? sorry but what is the die?

is it something that sits on the processor?

Originally posted by Dome
oh so the pads sit between the bottom of the heat sink and the top of the die? sorry but what is the die?

Its the little rectangle on the cpu

haha thank god i have a friend putting together the computer for me ;) cuz i'm totally lost

thanks for trying tho, i'm sure it'll make sense when i have it in front of me :p

No. The pads will sit between the heat sink, and the wafer of the cpu. If you put them between the die and sink, there goes your shiny new cpu. You put the thermal paste between the die and heatsink.

Originally posted by Dome

The die is this:
Barton2500.JPG

the part I circled in red anyway. That's also where you put the thermal paste and the part that makes contact with the heatsink base. You can see the 4 rubber pads on my Barton CPU. I'm not positive but I think the base of the 900A sits inside those pads, so you need to put extra pads on the heatsink to keep it stable on top of the chip and to keep it from crushing the core/die.

my 900a didnt come with the pads and ive reseated it many times... no smashed core yet :)

Back