• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

thermal epoxy for bga ramsinks

wrangler

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
3,929
Watercooling my gpu so I had to get some ramsinks. Newegg was out of OCZ but ZZF had some Vantec. Bought the Vantec cause I figure they are all the same. Well......They don't stick worth a crap and I cleaned the chips good with 99% isoproyl and let em dry really good which shouldn't take long with that stuff.

Tonight was the night I was going to hook everything up but with my ramsinks falling off the card I feel kinda stuck. I know I could go to Altex or Radioshack and pick up some thermal epoxy but is that what you guys would do. I used to mess around with radios years ago and used that stuff to put heatsinks on my final transistors but if I remember right, once it's on it's on.....no way to get that stuff off if I ever wanted to sell the card or needed to RMA. DO they make something different thats better and not so permanent nowadays.

I wonder if I use a hairdryer to heat up those pads if they would stick any better??

Any thoughts..
 
OK
Been doing a little reading.

Gonna stop off and buy thermal epoxy.
Gonna mix it 50/50 with AS5. Thought about the superglue method but meh...

I will check when I get home to see if anyone has a difference of opinion and if not......

Slow day on the forums...........
 
I just went and bought an Epoxying kit from Arctic Silver, do I believe it comes with Arctic Ceramic and Arctic Epoxy. I just used that and so far, nothings falling off and my temps are really still good.
 
Cool thanks.

I was already considering using the Ceramique instead of the 5 with the epoxy. Just looks like it would mix better. 50/50??

I don't have any epoxy to even test it out. Both places were out. I figured I had to be the only schmuck in San Antonio looking for thermal epoxy........both places on the way home sold out. Oh they stock it.......just sold out :(

My Ceramique did not arrive from the egg either as I check my front door.... so I wait another day. Guess I'll try heatin em up with the hairdryer since I got the time.
 
good luck with this I would also like to know of something that would be able to come off whenevr I wanted
 
Well then lets keep it at the top of the list till someone who actually knows something gets on and edubucates this noob. (me) :D

It's my first wc and even though I've found some answers through the search, my goodness, there are so many possible pitfalls.

I'm tempted, once I make sure the card fires up and isn't borked from me manhandling it with my ham hands, to just glue them on and then when the time comes just sell it here @ [H] to someone who knows what the deal is and wants to wc anyway. I've seen a few 6800's that were outfitted for wc with no way to go back sell for pretty good dough on FS/FT forum.
 
Back
Top