The Wonderful 101: Remastered

This is definitely worth supporting!

The Wonderful101 is one of the lesser known , unique titles from the WiiU era made by PlatinumGames. A Remastered version is neat, but what's even more important is that

A) They are not just releasing it for Nintendo Switch, but will offer a PC version! That Stretch goal has already been achieved!
B) PlatinumGames states that the Kickstarter is an effort to self-publish their own titles rather than relying on others and platforms to fund them! This is a big deal!

PlatinumGames is responsible for a bunch of lauded titles, especially action games. Vanquish, the Bayonetta series, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Nier: Automata etc... all had Platinum Games involved closely in their development. Unfortunately, this has meant that some - notably Bayonetta 2 - were limited exclusively to Nintendo platforms despite the prequel being cross-platform, because Nintendo was footing the bill for development/publishing. Its great that P+ wants to get away from this and publish their games as widely as possible. Clearly, they've seen the value of releasing titles on PC and that's quite important, doubly so when a Japanese developer "figures out" the benefits of releasing titles for PC via Steam.

I'm going to be contacting them to request Linux support as a stretch goal. I know it could be a longshot, but considering how well things are going on day 1 of crowdfunding, now is the time! I'd appreciate anyone else who backed it requesting Linux support as well in their own comment/post and bumping mine :)

Just letting everyone know that keys for Kickstarter backers of W101 Remastered are out - for PC users, via Steam anyway. Physical reward backers will also be granted a digital key for their platform of choice in advance of their physical delivery!

Overall the game is well put together and this is something of a "test phase" , where official support - as well as the ability to purchase for those who didn't back on KS - starts on PC on May 19th.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1190400/The_Wonderful_101_Remastered/

I've only played a little so far, but it seems to be a pretty well made, if perhaps a little barebones, remaster. Some have expressed concern about a couple of bugs, but a post was made that they'll likely be patching and polishing prior to "official" release. Remember the original game utilized the WiiU's GamePad as a secondary display option, so Platinum Games has chosen to allow an option to have either a small transparent overlay (movable, resized, hidden etc.. as you wish) or a side-by-side setup; of course, you can hide it when not necessary. There are many options for control (KB/M and controller, various layouts etc) which is good to see, and support for high resolution (2K, 4K) and ultra-wide displays, alongside even HDR if you wish.. There aren't tons of individual graphics tweaking options, but overall most of what you'll want is set and with a reasonably performant system you can max everything out and it looks great while keeping the cartoonish aesthetic.

While I usually favor original language media (especially when it comes to Japanese gaming) anyway, I HIGHLY suggest everyone try the Japanese voice track for this title. Given the game is an homage to a quintessentially Japanese cultural meme in the "Super Sentai" / Masked Hero show dynamic, the well done over-the-top voiceovers fit perfectly. I have to admit the English, though perhaps a little more cumbersome and played exactly like a saturday morning cartoon show, is not horrible - they took the time to create a similar theme song dubbed in English, for instance. Still, I think the Japanese audio "fits" the best and those with even a small amount of language comprehension will see that sometimes the subtitles don't exactly align ; I'll have to see how divergent things are later on. The game thankfully allows users to change voice over language (choice of English or Japanese), UI, and Subtitles (many more choices in text) independently, which is rather neat and always appreciated.

Overall, if you're a fan of Platinum Games-involved titles like Vanquish, Bayonetta series, Devil May Cry, NIER Automata etc , comic book super heroes or specifically the "sentai" transforming masked hero team, and the mix of quirky / imaginative setting and gameplay dynamics, give W101 Remastered a shot!

Any questions and I'll do my best.

Last edited:
Does this offer same screen co-op?

Indeed, there is local/couch co-op. Some have even discussed remote co-op via Steam Remote Play, but I'm not sure if that works or not. However, I'm quite sure that local co-op works; this reminds me to try it out.

Back