The Router Slows down the Connection WRT54G2 V1.5

I set up some relatives with a Linksys cable modem router on their Comcast connection. It is the WRT54G2 V1.5.
As soon as we connect the computer directly to the cable modem the speed increases by a hell of alot.
I have WPA encryption enabled with a long password; a few sports figures names and a massive number - 20 characters and impossible to guess; so I don't see how anyone can be using it illegally.

Could the router be bad?

Connect it via ethernet and test without any features such as Firewalls or anythin like that. }

What is the speed that you see doing that?

The router could be bad -- depends on what speed differences you are seeing honestly. The WRT54G (GL/G2,etc) is OLD hardware and I resent that it's still recommended like it's a good thing. The WRT54G2 is especially neutered; that said, if all they are doing is web browsing it should be fine.

If you're seeing a 16Mbps connection go down to 3Mbps when behind the router, it is probably bad. Trying flashing the firmware to the latest if it's not already there just to see if things improve. If they don't, exchange it while you can and try again. On the other hand if you're seeing a 16Mbps connection drop to 14Mbps, it's probably not a bad router just an old one with a slow processor and very little RAM.

The router could be bad -- depends on what speed differences you are seeing honestly. The WRT54G (GL/G2,etc) is OLD hardware and I resent that it's still recommended like it's a good thing. The WRT54G2 is especially neutered; that said, if all they are doing is web browsing it should be fine.

If you're seeing a 16Mbps connection go down to 3Mbps when behind the router, it is probably bad. Trying flashing the firmware to the latest if it's not already there just to see if things improve. If they don't, exchange it while you can and try again. On the other hand if you're seeing a 16Mbps connection drop to 14Mbps, it's probably not a bad router just an old one with a slow processor and very little RAM.

the speed difference is profound. Youtube will load up instantly without the router and take minutes with the router.
Also, the desktop PC is connected via the ethernet port and it is slow too. I don't have any firewalls enabled, only filter multicast.
I have the filter multicast enabled on MY router and it works fine. Both of us use Comcast as our ISP.

the speed difference is profound. Youtube will load up instantly without the router and take minutes with the router.
Also, the desktop PC is connected via the ethernet port and it is slow too. I don't have any firewalls enabled, only filter multicast.
I have the filter multicast enabled on MY router and it works fine. Both of us use Comcast as our ISP.
If you bought the router at a B&M store, take it back and exchange it either for another of the same type or upgrade to something a bit better and try again. Probably something wrong hardware-wise with that router.

Back