The List of Software to Install...

What is "The List" of software you install right away when you build a new box or do a fresh install of Windows?
For me its....

WinAmp
WinZip
AVG Anit-Virus (free)
Firefox
Thunderbird
Flash Player (Macromedia)
Shockwave
QuickTime
Real Player
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
Microsoft Power Toys (for TweakUI)
Divx Codec
Java

And others that I am forgetting. Not necessarily in that order.
Seriously though what do you guys install (really download) when you get started with a new computer? I think a list like this could be quite helpful.

flash/shockwave plugin, winamp, winrar, divx, xvid, quicktime and real alternative player are ones that i always install on my computers

SciTE
Notepad replacement (Metapad or Notepad2, whatever)
Eclipse SDK
MinGW
VS .NET 2003
Outlook
Xvid
7-zip
Foobar2000
Sonique2
Mozilla Firefox
Avant Browser
Opera
PuttySSH
TweakUI
Adobe Reader 5
TweakUI
BSPlayer
Exact Audio Copy
AdAware
Spybot SD

A firewall man. I know SP2 has one, but not sure how good it is yet.

Other programs:

Anti-Virus (AVG(grisoft)-it is free)
Firewall (Agnitum or Zone Alarm - both are free)
Partition Magic
Mozilla-Firebird
Ad-Aware (Lavasoft)
OpenOffice (Sun)
irfanview or gimp (like photoshop)
CD-EX
winzip
filezilla (Ftp)

http://www.pricelessware.org/ <---Has a good listing of freeware programs.

Here are a few good ones that no one mentioned...

Edited with descriptions...

CCleaner This is a must have quick cleaner that works with a right click on the recycle bin. it will clean the Firefox cache, as well as other temps, etc. Freeware. (Guy keeps updating it, so keep an eye on the homepage.)

RegProt Must have freeware to detect registry changes. Freeware.

Wormguard Automatically finds worms. It's another must have. Freeware...I think.

LeechFTP An oldie, but goodie FTP program. It has multi-threading which is way cool. Freeware.

NOD32 God's answer to the virus.

DVDshrink Fit a regular sized DVD on a DVD-R blank. Freeware.

DVD Decrypter The best ripper. Freeware.

BeSweet Audio transcoder. The best with lots of ability. Amazing, actually. Freeware.

AM-Deadlink Finds dead links in your bookmarks/favorites. Freeware.

filetargets A really neat shell extension for copying and moving files and folders quickly. Freeware.

LS TimeSync The best atomic clock sync out there. Can connect to a lot of time servers, and you don't have to look for them. Freeware.

O&O Defrag The ultimate defrag program. It defragments locked files, too. Worth every penny.

PocoMail An e-mail client that is very secure. It doesn't read html from explorer, like the others. It sees javascript a different way, too. Also, it handles multiple accounts and uses custom scripts to do lots of things. It can check, delete and route the mail at the server before you download it. Best of all, it is small, like the name poco indicates. It has spam filtering, etc. I think it is the best around, so take a close look. ( Whoever the Hell writes OE at MS could learn a lot from Slaven, the guy who wrote Poco.) I've been using it since it first appeared several years ago, and it has never failed.

Kerio A great firewall, especially version 2.1.5. Freeware, but you'll have to look around to find that particular version. The link takes you to the current version which is OK, too.

Added 9/15.dirms An easy to use command line defragger that is better than XP's native one. It's quick and easy to use for those times when O&O takes too long...like after you've been working with a very large file, for example. Freeware.

One mentioned that I think is a "Sin Against God" is RealPlayer.
If I work on a machine, it is one of the very first things to go...No offense intended ninethreeeleven.

I just wanted to bump this to get any more programs that are "MUST HAVES" when doing a fresh install (which I will be doing in the coming weeks, 64bit here I come!)

I hate Real Player with a passion but I come across files (after I delete that fucker) that need it to open, so I am stuck with it. Is there another player that will play the "real media"

nobody's mentioned nero or any other burning program

nero
clonecd
ultraiso
alcohol 120

Seeing people install Quicktime and Real Player is like watching someone kick a puppy. Painful and wrong.

Is there a quicktime alternate? I kinda like quicktime, don't see much wrong with it.

Realplayer...on the other hand...*shudder*

NOD32
SpyBot
Ad-Aware
Zone-Alarm
Office 2003
Opera (latest Build)
eWallet
Microsoft OneNote

There's a quicktime alternative floating around, search for it.

I haven't let Real player, Quicktime, Musicmatch or any crap like that near my computer in a while.

Theres a nifty little player I like to use called vlc (video lan player I think) plays nearly every extension! Including quicktime unless I am sadly mistaken.

StickyFlyPaper said:
Theres a nifty little player I like to use called vlc (video lan player I think) plays nearly every extension! Including quicktime unless I am sadly mistaken.
Nice one!
Yes, it will play Quicktime files...lots of others, too...including DVDs.

Take a look.

Back