The Linksys/sisco wrtu54g-tm?

Dougjwjr

Limp Gawd
Alright, so my mom wants to get rid of out home phone service and get T-mobile's hot spot at home. I don't care really, since I don't use the home phone anyhow, and it shouldn't take up much bandwidth.

So, it seems today while I was at school my mom went out to T-mobile and picked up a router needed to use hot spot from t-mobile. It is the Linksys WRTU54G-TM wireless router. It has 4 ports, 2 voip ports.

Now, I've wanted a wireless router for a while now, currently have a bunch of cords, but I did a little look and this model appears to be cheap and slow, according to a review I found. I was wondering if I might be able to get more information here, and possibly help finding an alternative to this one.

Cowboom's deal of the day yesterday was a used WRT54G-TM (no U) for $17 shipped. This is essentially the famous WRT54GL model with twice the memory. It's great for flashing third party firmware, and the only other T-Mobile router I personally know of (though I've never looked, as I haven't used them since it was VoiceStream).

If you actually want to use the T-Mobile VoIP stuff, I think you're basically limited to what T-Mobile offers.

I dont really want to use t-mobile, it was kinda my mom's idea, she went out and said it's cheaper than the phone line, lets go. If that is it for my options, I'm not happy with it.

Basically, right now I have an old bef41 or w/e from linksys, I need to get a wireless router, I'm way behind the times on that, I want a gigabit router, is there any way for me to like.. use both routers? plug this router into another gigabit router or something? I dont know.. but I dont like this thing.

Basically, right now I have an old bef41 or w/e from linksys, I need to get a wireless router, I'm way behind the times on that, I want a gigabit router, is there any way for me to like.. use both routers? plug this router into another gigabit router or something? I dont know.. but I dont like this thing.

1. Its Cisco, not sisco :p
2. Sure you can use both routers, does it make sense? No.

3. You want a gigabit router? Do you mean you want a router with a gigabit switch builtin? I think thats what you mean and in that case, stick with the current router that your mom got and get yourself a cheap gigabit switch for your LAN.

4. Why dont you like its? Its more than adequate for your internet connection, has the WiFi that you desire and has a built-in switch for addition of other devices or ...... a gigabit switch. Again, stick with the router and get a cheap gigabit switch.

I know it's cisco, I just cant edit it.

I dont know much about networking. I know achieving full internet speeds, at least my speeds, wont be a problem on just about any router. What I am thinking about is file transfering, which I want to be able to do at more than 11mb/s, or whatever this router may limit it to.

I know it's cisco, I just cant edit it.

I dont know much about networking. I know achieving full internet speeds, at least my speeds, wont be a problem on just about any router. What I am thinking about is file transfering, which I want to be able to do at more than 11mb/s, or whatever this router may limit it to.
The wireless will be 54Mbits, its 802.11G. If you want the fastest speeds between your hosts, again.. get yourself a gigabit switch for you LAN.

Back