The light on my router keeps flashing

Cryptic

Gawd
When I'm not doing anything, the top light on my router keeps flashing. The network montior in taskmanager says that 0% of the network is being used though. This happens on the desktop even when Firefox isn't open. THe router is a D-link DI-614+ 2.4Ghz. It does support wireless connects becuase my brother runs wireles, but I run through Cat5 cable. And my light flashes weather my brothers computer is on or off. Should I be worried about this? What would cause this to happen? Thanks in advance

Cryptic

it could be possible that someone is using your wireless connection without you knowing. do you have wireless security enabled?

itr said:
it could be possible that someone is using your wireless connection without you knowing. do you have wireless security enabled?

No, I dont, but I live on an AFB out here, and I know for a fact that everyone around me has there own connection and doesnt run wireless. And its the port 1 light that comes on, the one that my cat5 cable is connected to, so I know its my computer. Plus this router has a hard time transmitting to the other side of the house, much less across the street or next door...

its probably like AV software or something, it keeps a constant port open to check for updates usually. does it still flash when your computer is off?

Or spyware and or viruses that are replicating themselves across your connection or in the case of spyware, downloading more stuff into the computer in the background. Or something running in the startup program thats trying to register software automatically like printer software, updates.ect..ect..

vapb400 said:
its probably like AV software or something, it keeps a constant port open to check for updates usually. does it still flash when your computer is off?

No, it stays on but doesnt flash.

chances are its just windows trying to talk to other boxes. windows is always sending out small packets to find other windows boxes and see if it can do filesharing and whatnot. Could be spyware too.

Could be bad.... had 2 different 624's that had to be taken back because of this. The replacements didn't do it.

QJ

Cryptic said:
No, it stays on but doesnt flash.

its just showing you that theres something active connected to that port, turn off you computer and the light will turn off. and if it doesnt, maybe you have some sort of wake-on-lan capabilities active.

Back