The Hoover Dam, pic I took in 2006

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
This is my favorite picture I took of the Hoover Dam on my last road trip from VA to CA in 2006. I was there previously in 1999 but it was during the day and I didn't have a still camera, just my Hi8 video camera and didn't bother shooting it.

I set my Canon D60's white balance to give me a blue hue to the image as the area has an orange/yellowish lighting and doesn't look as dramatic as the blue,
hoover2.jpg

full size image
http://transamws6.com/pics/la-trip/IMG_0285.jpg

this is how it looks with the camera set correctly,
hoover1.jpg

Nice shot! I thought this was a thread-necro at first, but no you're just now posting pics from 2006. Oh well, better late than never! ;)

And I kind-of like the coloring in both of them. Might be fun to try and get the white-balance somewhere in-between, and pump up both the blue and orange areas to get that nice complementary color scheme going. It could also stand to have some more detail pulled out of the shadow areas. Just my $.02.

Now get out there and shoot some more! :D

Thanks.
I guess I could process the pics a bit to see what I can get out of them. Both shots are straight out of the camera, they were just resized.

Unfortunately, my right hip went out June of 2014 and my left hip went out in December, so I am not mobile anymore, and my spine and neck are both fused so I can't bend my back or move my head much anymore.
Since I wasn't going out to shoot anymore, I ended up trading my Canon 40D body and some cash for a Herman Miller computer chair to use at my Garage PC.

Too bad you can't composite both images.

I doubt you're gonna be able to do much with shadow recovery on an image taken from equipment 9 years ago. Canons now still can barely do it. :-P

That burns, Daggah. haha

OP, do you have lightroom? I think you can set up a white balance gradient and get them all looking the same... but you may lose some of the artistic effect of the shot. Might be worth playing around with.

Also, good call on trading in for the chair. I've got back problems and a good chair makes a world of difference. Sorry to hear of your situation :(.

Unfortunately, my right hip went out June of 2014 and my left hip went out in December, so I am not mobile anymore, and my spine and neck are both fused so I can't bend my back or move my head much anymore.
Since I wasn't going out to shoot anymore, I ended up trading my Canon 40D body and some cash for a Herman Miller computer chair to use at my Garage PC.

Sorry to hear about the down-turn in health, man! Hope you get back on your feet and taking more pics asap!

I doubt you're gonna be able to do much with shadow recovery on an image taken from equipment 9 years ago. Canons now still can barely do it. :-P

I took a crack at it. Took a ton of noise-reduction, but it's still pretty cool looking. :cool:
I'm into crazy bright colors lately. Probably a few other good ways to process this.

Hoover-Dam-1.JPG

Back