the 2004 "post your macro shots" thread

w00t! Luck x2 :D

photos_macro_dscn5776_res.jpg

Full Size Pic Here

Taken today, on Nikon CoolPix 995...

There is! :D

At first I found one, and then lo-and-behold there were two sitting right next to each other! So I kinda set that shot up by moving them around a little bit. I resisted the urge to pick them, so maybe a few more will grow there :)

Feel free to take a shot finding them in this pic:

photos_macro_dscn5788_res.jpg

Full Size Pic Here

BTW, I edited the other post with the two clovers to link to the full pic incase anyone wants it as a background or something to use around March...

First, the obligatory flower shots...both from the heart of New York City:

PurpleHues.jpg

PrettyinBlue.jpg

John's Pizzeria, also in New York City:

IDreamofPizza.jpg

Speaks for itself...

Reeses.jpg

My favorite macro shot this year:

FlightsofImagination.jpg

Fullsize available upon request.

Enjoy!

Thrash, that feather shot is awesome. The depth of field is just about perfect and the monochrome makes all the difference...good job. I'd put that on my wall if I were you ;)

These were shot with a Fujifilm S2 Pro and a Sigma 50mm macro lens (my favorite!). (Here's the rig I used for most of them.)

DSCF0187_big_drop_sm.jpg

DSCF0083_microlambo_sm.jpg

DSCF8694_huge_pupil_sm.jpg

DSCF1271_lens_reflections_sm.jpg

DSCF8714_slug_eye_stalks_sm.jpg

DSCF8759_asian_ladybug_sm.jpg

HorsePunchKid said:
These were shot with a Fujifilm S2 Pro and a Sigma 50mm macro lens (my favorite!). (Here's the rig I used for most of them.)...

Awesome shots!!! Can you explain a few of them? What's that first one of? Is that really someone's eye? It seems waaaay dialated. What is that sphere one? Is that a marble?

jmroberts70 said:
Awesome shots!!! Can you explain a few of them? What's that first one of? Is that really someone's eye? It seems waaaay dialated. What is that sphere one? Is that a marble?
Thanks! The first one was taken with a macro lens looking across the top of a glass of water. I set the flash to strobe at about 10Hz for 10 flashes or so. Then I dropped the metal core of a mouse ball into the water and opened the shutter for maybe a second or so (I'd have to check the EXIF to be sure).

The eye is what my eye looked like after they put muscle-relaxing drops into my eyes for an eye exam. The interesting thing is that when your irises relax that much, your pupil gets so big that your eyes don't focus very well anymore. I'm luck the shot came out at all, given the state my eyes were in when I took it :).

The one that looks spherical is actually just a very thick multi-coated lens from a missile sighting scope or something like that. Maybe from some IR optics. I don't really remember. Here's a different view of it that makes it more clear what you're looking at.

I should have bumped the camera into ISO 200 and had an even smaller arpeture, but he/she flew away before I could try that... :(

photos_macro_dscn0409_res.jpg

Well my s400 sucks compared to you DSLR guys, but the more I look at macros, the more I think I want to buy a DSLR with a nice lens. I love closeups, and I can;t get close enough.
I just found the macro function last week, so go easy on me (if these are even considered macros :D )

macro-hard%20drive.jpg

macro-grenadine.jpg

and my favorite... this was before I learned to use the high ISO/low exposure for improved depth of field. It came out because all I can seem to focus on is LOGIC, and the rest just fades away :)

macro-logic.jpg

hmmmm...

at first the depth of field in the "logic" pic irks me, but then when you look at the picture as an idea instead of an image it's a cool pic.

me likey long time.

A US Quarter:

Macro01.jpg

Washington's nose from the same quarter:

Macro02.jpg

A duct's view of the tape:

DuctTape640.jpg

Silver Solder:

Solder01.jpg

And, of course, the obligatory fly shot:

Fly.jpg

Saw this guy last night, and this is the first time I've used my G3 since I bought a 10D.

original.jpg

Back