Tether iPhone to Wireless Router?

SSpiro

Limp Gawd
Is there a way to tether my iphone to a wireless router? Specifically, using an Apple Airport Extreme.

Moving to a rural area - cell coverage is good and I have unlimited data; however I need to be able to get data to my TV's etc. Until I can get coverage by a provider, is there a way to share my connection with multiple devices easily?

I do not use a PC, use an iMac - so i can't do the "network share" trick that Windows PC's allow.

Yes, i'm aware that even though I have unlimited data, my cell provider may not be happy with my plan and/or may be against TOS. Simply asking theoretically.

The only ways I could think of that *might* make this work would to be:

a) get a router that is designed to have a usb cellular modem plugged into it
b) get a lightning to ethernet adapter

I have never tried either of the above, so attempt at your own risk!

Not an Airport. You would need a router that can be switched into repeater mode, or a standalone wireless repeater.

Does your phone not have enough signal strength? If this is just a temp solution, it seems like simply using the 5 device allotment via the phone is the simplest solution. Find a power outlet somewhere in the center of the house and plug the phone in. When you turn on sharing on the phone, you devices should be able to find it if you configure them to use the phone. Obviously that would mean your phone wouldn't be able to roam while being tethered, but you can still use your imac for calls, messages, etc anyway.

Getting a repeater is probably the easiest solution if you don't have enough strength to make it. You could probably setup a solution to use the iMac running a VM that would bridge the wifi and Ethernet connections together, but I'd suspect that might be a bit too technical unless you are a sys/network admin.

Last edited:
Does your phone not have enough signal strength? If this is just a temp solution, it seems like simply using the 5 device allotment via the phone is the simplest solution. Find a power outlet somewhere in the center of the house and plug the phone in. When you turn on sharing on the phone, you devices should be able to find it if you configure them to use the phone. Obviously that would mean your phone wouldn't be able to roam while being tethered, but you can still use your imac for calls, messages, etc anyway.

I don't think the OP pays for tethering so it can't be enabled.

Back