Testing my VPN

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm totally new to VPN and quite inexperienced with networking in general. I am trying to educate myself by reading guides and such.

My equipment. iPad original (updated and stock), i7 MBP updated, Linksys E4200, cable internet.

I'm trying to log on and control my MBP via my iPad. MBP would be at home and iPad with me on whatever wifi network (not 3G). Final goal would be to replicate this with a Mac mini (used as a server).

I've signed up and received an account with Dyndns.com (free account).

I've also inputted the account information into my router (under the ddns screen).

I've tried tunneling to my computer from the iPad when I'm at home (same network). Failure everytime. Is that even possible? I.e. Tunneling from same network.

I'm using google to find guides to help me through this but if you know of a solid guide please let me know. Any tips or advice on how to set up a VPN, or do what I am trying to do would be fantastic.

Trying to use the app Screens on my iPad to make the connection and the built in features of OSX as my server VPN.

Last edited:
Need more information. Are you using OS X server, are you using a 3rd party application? Do you have the ports on your router open to allow the particular protocols through? With the iPad are you connecting using the built in VPN app in the settings menu or a 3rd party application? Do you have a static route setup between the router and the MBP (sometimes needed)?

As far as the tunnel is concerned, no you can't connect to the WAN side of your tunnel while you are behind the same firewall.

Standard OSX that the MBP shipped with, fully updated.

As far as the MBP goes, not using any third party software. I've been reading about several free ones but nothing comes out as being superior on OSX. Any recommendations?

I have set up a static address for the MBP via the router. I left the settings onthe computer as is.

I am using Screens (app) to mirror my screen. It has a VPN section built in. I tried the iOS setting and the Screens one. Should both be configured? Do they conflict with each other?

Any experience with "VPN ready" routers?

Standard OSX that the MBP shipped with, fully updated.

As far as the MBP goes, not using any third party software. I've been reading about several free ones but nothing comes out as being superior on OSX. Any recommendations?

I have set up a static address for the MBP via the router. I left the settings onthe computer as is.

I am using Screens (app) to mirror my screen. It has a VPN section built in. I tried the iOS setting and the Screens one. Should both be configured? Do they conflict with each other?

Any experience with "VPN ready" routers?

is it vpn ready as in it will pass vpn through it, OR can you set it up to accept vpn connection with username password etc etc ?

Just looked over your manual, this router does not ac't as a vpn server,

example, you would be out in the filed and connect to your home router with a vpn connection.

Last edited:
I believe all the router does is auto re assign for dynamic ip. So a static connection is not necessary.

It comes factory ready for Dyndns.com

I believe all the router does is auto re assign for dynamic ip. So a static connection is not necessary.

It comes factory ready for Dyndns.com

are you trying to use your laptop and vpn to your home network ? If so, then you will need to have a vpn server behind the router.

Some of the routers out there allow you to connect to the actuall unit with a vpn connection, ie the units i use the wrvs4000 and wrvs4400n's allow this, but you have to use their software :(

Personally, i use untangle with open vpn ( tunnel brick ) and it works awesome :)

dash

What I'm trying to do is control my MBP in my home network with my iPad when I'm not home. Ultimately I'll replace the MBP with a Mac mini. Kinda of a test run.

Am I going about it the right way by using VPN?

I also have a WHS unit that I can use.

unTangle may be the best solution. I know it's over my head.

What I'm trying to do is control my MBP in my home network with my iPad when I'm not home. Ultimately I'll replace the MBP with a Mac mini. Kinda of a test run.

Am I going about it the right way by using VPN?

I also have a WHS unit that I can use.

unTangle may be the best solution. I know it's over my head.

I think there is a ARD app for the ipad, if so, then just port forward it to your macbook, setup the dnydns.org account.

You will want to make sure that your macbook has a static ip so the port forward works on the laptop every time, that or set the router to always assign your macbook the same ip every time.

ipaf app called jump desktop looks like it would work.

Back