Terrastaion

Echilon

n00b
Joined
Feb 17, 2007
Messages
5
I'm planning to either build myself a barebones server or get a Buffalo Terrastation. Does anyone have anything they'd recommend over a Terrastation or are they pretty much the best? Also, what are the running costs likely to be if I leave it on 24/7?
 
I'd build my own unit, more fun that way and probably cheaper. As for the unit doesn't look bad but a little pricey.
 
I'd build my own unit, more fun that way and probably cheaper. As for the unit doesn't look bad but a little pricey.

I'm going to have to agree with oplin. its way more fun to build your own network attached storage system. If you have a spare computer lying around, just add disks. You can use pre-packaged programs like Openfiler or FreeNAS. Or just install Windows or Linux w/ Samba. (I went the Linux w/ Samba route).

Plus you're not limited to just 4 drives in the machine, you can have more in a computer.
 
Terastations are pretty slow. :/ If you're just using it as a backup, then go for it.

The only NAS I'd use over a computer is an Infrant ReadyNAS, and even then I still really prefer a file server instead. These are expensive, but they're fast, reliable, and feature rich. Infrant's support is quite good also.
 
Back
Top