Ten Thousand Chinese Domains Lost

HardOCP News

[H] News
The earthquake that rocked Taiwan earlier this week not only knocked people off the web for the day, it might have websites off the web. People that tried renewing domains at the last minute were unable to and might lose their domain due to non-registration.

About 10,000 .com domain names owned by Chinese web users and companies were unable to be registered within the required time for expired domain names, causing 10,000 owners of .com domain names to lose the name due to non-registration.

Man, I normally start getting hounded almost 3 months before they laps and get reminder every month, then a few follow ups weeks before it is due.

If it was important to renew, you probably did it in advance or you are stupid.

I fully agree. It is their own fault this happen to them, they shouldn't have waited till the last minute.

I dont feel sorry for them @ all. Kind of glad if you ask me. Between reverse engineering everything that we make here and low balling on the prices and the amount of pollutants they put into the air I hope they pay out of their ass to get the domains back.

I dont feel sorry for them @ all. Kind of glad if you ask me. Between reverse engineering everything that we make here and low balling on the prices and the amount of pollutants they put into the air I hope they pay out of their ass to get the domains back.

I could have sworn that America is the biggest polluting nation of all...

Hey I say we start to figure out what ones are lost and buy them up and make a profit. Though I see lawsuits coming.

KM

Hrm, kinda odd that many would wait till the last minute.

As said earlier my darn host starts sending the warnings about 3 months out!

Were their telephone lines knocked out too?
At the registrar I used to work for, we did renewals over the phone. Also, you'll always have some amount of grace period even once the domain does expire. After that, you have a 30 day redeemption period with Verisign, where you can pay $99 and still get your domain back. The story is factually incorrect

Back