Telnet on Win2K3

HydrasunGQ

[H]ard|Gawd
we need some developers to be able to telnet to some of our servers but for some reason the server is not allowing telnet connections. I tried to telnet locally on the box and it wont allow connections. Can anyone help me figure out what configuration do I need to allow them. I already enabled the telnet service on the box.

seems as though my port 1433 is not open. I did a netstat -an and win2k3 is not listening on this port.

telnet runs on port 23 (standard)

also, did you make them members of the TelnetClients (or whatever) group?
check the settings via tlntadmn?

Because telnet is a seriously bad idea from a security standpoint, it is disabled by default. Have you enabled it?

You have to enable the Telnet service in Administrative Tools - Services, because it's disabled by default as M11 already said.

Did you guys not read the original poster saying " I already enabled the telnet service on the box"?

All you need to do is enable the service for it to work. If it's already done, then you either did something wrong or the machine has a problem. If you are trying to telnet remotely, make sure all your VPN, firewall, etc settings are correct.

Back