teaming/link aggregate on 2wire modem?

sliu64

Weaksauce
Hi, i have a 2wire 2701hg-g modem and have a motherboard that supports teaming w/ gigabyte lan. I couldn't find anything on the user's manual and the manufacturer's website. I tried teaming it and it just shuts my internet connection. Does anyone know if my modem supports teaming/link aggregate? if it does, what i can do to make it work.

doubtful that the modem supports it.

besides, it wouldn't do any good if it's just a modem. Won't get any increase from it.

As others have stated - there's simply no need for it as link aggregation would do nothing to increase the speed of your service.

You could potentially configure your motherboard in a static fail-over team or, if intel or broadcom, set up an ALB (automatic load balancing) or SLB (smart load balancing) team respectively - but again you would not see any improvement in throughput to and from the internet.

The switches included in many gateway/router devices provide the bare minimum functionality as they are not (generally) intended for the enthusiast market. Further, many enthusiasts would purchase a switch with those capabilities and uplink to their router rather than wish for the gateway device to contain those features. This allows for the router to fail or be rebooted without taking down the entire network, just as in most businesses.

switches do link aggregation and teaming not routers or modems. that modem you have is a combo router/modem/switch. However only MANAGED switches can do it. ($$$ to $$$$$)

Furthermore it would be completely useless. No DSL connection can max out a 100 mbps connection let along a gigabit. Teaming would be useful for you if you have a high traffic LAN and you buy a 14-24 or 48 port gigabit managed switch and you share lots of files constantly or are running a lan party.

Back