Tape Backup Software or alternative solutions recomendations

Ockie

*** Self Proclaimed Storage King ***
Hey guys. We are currently using ArcServe backup, however, it has provided us with more headache than it's worth (constantly screwing up our backups and spewing out errors due to licensing [which we already own]).

Anyways, so I figured I'd check out the hardforums and see what alternatives people can recommend that they have tried or are using in their work environment. We are backing up about 30-100 gigs a day on a 320 DLT, this data is financial, exchange, files, ftp, etc. The servers are Windows based platforms dating from NT to 2003.

Also, if you have any alternative solutions, such as disk drive backup or other means of backups, I'm all ears. We're basically looking for less problems and more reliable backup solutions. Currently we are doing full backups, but incremental each day and full at the end of the week would be sufficient too. Open source of proprietary is fine, whichever works best.

While i'm not a huge fan of DLT tapes with 100gigs i would suggest staying with the tape drives you have. Personally, i would focus on looking for more reliable software in your case as restoring 100gigs off of tapes isn't that bad. If you want something faster for restores, Backup to both disk and tape, also gives you more redundancy

The move within the enterprise has been to go to a Disk-to-Disk-to-Tape model for backups. So you would backup to a large amount of disk storage in your backup server or to a SAN, then go to tape at the end of the week.

If you are getting errors and having issues with ArcServe, I would move to Backup Exec instead. We did that move back around 2002 or so and I couldn't be happier. Though it takes some learning since there is a bit of difference between ArcServe and Backup Exec.

The move within the enterprise has been to go to a Disk-to-Disk-to-Tape model for backups. So you would backup to a large amount of disk storage in your backup server or to a SAN, then go to tape at the end of the week.

If you are getting errors and having issues with ArcServe, I would move to Backup Exec instead. We did that move back around 2002 or so and I couldn't be happier. Though it takes some learning since there is a bit of difference between ArcServe and Backup Exec.

Any particular reason why you ditched ArcServe and went with Backup Exec?

Also, what is your current backup strategy like: Disk to Tape or Disk to Disk to Tape? If it's the latter, what current hardware implementation are you running if you don't mind me asking?

The support was lacking from CA, it was getting to be painful to upgrade, they did not have a backup module for a program we were going to use. CA was really bad with the support. Backup Exec had the modules for the applications we are using.

We are not at this time doing Disk-to-disk. We are doing Disk to tape with the SuperDLTs 160/320s in a 8 bay library. We have two tape libraries, both are the same ADIC model.

Back