Taking VHS to DVD

FirehawkNS

Weaksauce
Mods, please move this if needed, I wasn't sure the best place to put it.

My Grandfather passed away on Easter and while we were going through the house we found a lot of old home movies we forgot he had and I wanted to convert them to DVD before they degrade.

Basically I have a 3 or 4 year old ATI TV Wonder VE (remote), but the ATI software is such a piece of crap excuse for software, I refused to load it after my last reformat and stopped using the card. I got it on last night, but it isn't working worth a damn (as I remember ATI software doing, Especially Multimedia Center) so before I go through the headaches of getting it to run right, my question is:

1. Is there software that will use the Tuner card to easily record high quality video (at least keep the VHS quality) without using ATI's mess?

2. Would it be easier to get a VHS/DVD combo and just hit record? Wouldn't be able to do Chapters, but I figured I would rip the disc back to the PC then do my editing.

Any other suggestions from people that might have done this?

option 2 would be the best and easiest.
Most stand alones will do auto chapters every 5 minutes or so.
I have one of those Sony DV-direct DVD recorders to do straight DV and VHS to DVD.

Which model do you have? I think this is the route I will go just because it will be easier to deal with. My parents have been wanting a DVD recorder to easily record TV anyway, so I will just give it to them when I am done.

Should I get one with a HDD or will it matter for converting VHS at all? I know it used mainly to record without using DVD's.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hmm, a little more pricey then I was wanting to go for a one time project.

Someone on another board pointed out a Samsung he used to do this job for under $100. I might go that route. It had HDMI ports as well.

Why go though the hassle of doing this yourself. For the same price or less you can pay a service company to this for you. They will get the best quality out of the tapes and you can get special orders (like highlights).

We had ours converted at a local place: here - http://www.fastforwardmm.com

Why go though the hassle of doing this yourself. For the same price or less you can pay a service company to this for you. They will get the best quality out of the tapes and you can get special orders (like highlights).

We had ours converted at a local place: here - http://www.fastforwardmm.com

I thought about this, but haven't looked into how much it would cost to do or if there is anyone local to do it.

Back