Taking bets-I think it's enough, do you?

superkdogg

Gawd
Joined
Oct 14, 2004
Messages
743
http://www.sparklepower.com/pdf/ATX-300PA.pdf

Above is the victim.

Below is the perpetrators:
3000+Winchester @ 2.7
Asus K8R-MVP
2x256 Ram
2x80 Hitachi Sata
1x120 WD Pata
1x DVD burner
4x80 mm case fans
x800 GTO2 that will be flashed to x850xt or better

Despite only being a 300 watt rated unit, I think it will do it. It's a Sparkle/FSP, for one so it's a quality unit. It's rated for continuous 8a on each 12 v rail, which is right about where I'm sitting, maybe a touch more, but 22a total is the max continuous figure and my math says I won't get to that. The 3.3 and 5.0 hardly matter, so 20a apiece is plenty for what I'm doing.

When I build this next week, what do you all think the chances of the PSU limiting the OC's are or do you think it'll quit altogether? (I already have the Winchester @ 2.7, so I know that it does that speed, and the gto2 is a Sapphire that everybody and their brother has flashed so it's pretty much an automatic too.)

I have backups and other parts in line just in case, but I think that it will actually do just fine.
 
2W / C° from 50C° to 25C° (deduct 2 watts for each degree above 25C)

FSP's published derating curve

we tend to focus more on overkill than the leanest possible senerio
might want to fly this by the guru's at spcr

I can definatively say it both will and wont work for your system
depending on the temperature :p

of course the fail temp maybe unrealistically high
you will however have both a wider operating range of initial ambient temperatures and more importantly extend the life of the PSU by ensuring its fed a cooler air temp than the HSF\mobo exhaust
 
For the record, and to make myself seem like less of an idiot, I'm not sure this will work either. I have the PSU here, and it's the only 24 pinner I have. If it doesn't work out the way that I want, there are others in line that I am sure can handle it.

Thanks for the opinions, guys. I'll update when I get it built.
 
UPDATE: Ended up getting a FSP 450w psu that can put out up to 348 on the two 12v rails. (29 amps max vs. 22 amps max for the other one-84 more watts, hmmm about as much as a xfire master would need.....) For $56 shipped, this is an excellent buy.

The one I linked in my sig is no slouch, but I imagine that eventually I'll be crossfiring and then it won't be nearly enough. Plus there may be a motherboard and video card vmod in my near future-too much for a mere mortal PSU.

BTW, it did/does work just fine with my current config. CPU is @ 2.7 Ghz with 1.52 vCore and the video card is flashed to x850xt pe and runs just fine with no ctd's or bsod's at all.
 
Back
Top