Taking an Intro to Mac course...You know of any links, advice, or books that'll help?

Hey there...I gotta take an Intro to Mac course...we're gonna be using OSX...now I am SORTA familiar with Macs...not really tho...

The only contact I've had with them was when I was in high school (all the teachers were issued Macs) and my dad had an Apple IIGS...That was the first computer I started getting interested in...ever since then I've loved computers and wanted to learn more about them...especially the games...LOL

ANYWAYS...I was just wondering if you guys knew of any links to some websites that you think would help me out...

and any advice or whatever...like when I was taking my A+ class I remember that I'd try to piss off the instructer by changing backgrounds or changing the startup screen or messing with the preferences and re-adjusting them to my liking...it drove him nuts...LOL...so are there any things like that that Mac instructers might get a bit aggravated about...nothing to piss em off too much tho...LOL...

And are there any books I might wanna look at??? I got the Mac OSX for Dummies book...that might help me...anythign else???

Are there any tips you might wanna give me??? Some things that I can learn that'll make my life easier??? Any Mac secrets or whatever??? Stuff that most Mac ppl might not know how to do or something???

So just post ANYTHING that you think might help me along the way...THANX
C'YA ?:-D

Unless you're computer illiterate, Mac OS X is one of the easiest systems to use... :p

If you wanna be hard core, you might want to start looking for UNIX information instead. ;)

OK...let me restate what I first said above...I HAVE to take an Intro to Mac course for college...it is a prerequisite...I am majoring in graphic arts and so I gotta take a Mac course since the college uses Macs for graphic arts stuff

BTW...I am not computer illiterate...I've built my own PC for goodnes sake...lol...but I guess you could teach a monkey to build one...it takes skills to config and troubleshoot it and work it

I've spoken with a few people around, you know the type, I think a monkey would be much smarter.

At any rate, for nifty little programs you can try www.versiontracker.com my parnter changed the boot logo on his iBook to a Gator, there are lots of programs to be found there, also the download section of the OS X page at Apple.com is pretty decent.

As far as information goes, nowhere beats the [H]ardForums, but then you're here so you should know that, ArsTechnica.com always has lots of good info, and of course nothing beats hands-on so just get in there and start playing with things to see what they do.

Some recomended apps:

Instant messaging: Proteus

Browser: either Safari or Mozilla (Firebird sucks, I'm afraid, and Opera is much worse)

Nifty general config app (basically just a command line GUI script thingie): Cocktail

FTP: Transmit

Hmmm... what else? Let me think... :p

I'd kindly suggest reading the book, and using your class to learn to use OS X. The easiest way to learn it, is to use it.

Although, it's extremely difficult to learn, know, and like something that one has an ignorant bias against.

Well, the MOSX version of it is buggy as hell. And you can't tab between buttons or links... Mozilla is better.

Originally posted by Black Morty Rackham
Well, the MOSX version of it is buggy as hell. And you can't tab between buttons or links... Mozilla is better.

Says you. Mozilla is bloat!! Everybody has an opinion, and you're entitled to yours, but I'll take Firebird(or camino on OS X).

Mozilla is bloated, yeah... but in my experience, Firebird is buggy... and I don't like not being able to tab between anything but text fields.

Camino doesn't even work properly at all for me... Images get all messed up... :-\

Back