System Tray AWOL in XP

SoulkeepHL

2[H]4U
One minute its there, restart, and then its not. And when I say the system tray isnt there, I mean nothing show up, I get the time, and the apps that start to the tray and what not all load, just nothing shows up. And in properties of the taskbar, hide inactive icons is greyed out. Any idea on what happened?

Fark_Maniac said:
does this occur in only your profile? all profiles?

Hm, good question, I'll checked. And haven't screwed with any services recently.

Have you installed or uninstalled SP2, cause I know that may cause this issue

Beast321 said:
Have you installed or uninstalled SP2, cause I know that may cause this issue

Staying away from sp2 for the moment :). But I figured out what it was, although im afraid to admitt it was my own foolishness that brought it about. I had forgotten i was playing around in the new to me tweakui 2.10 (had 2.0.1) and apparently didnt read the option i unchecked completely, i unchecked "display system tray notification icons", where as I read it as "display system tray notifications", which i assumed meant all the godforsaken popup bubbles. Thanks for the help.

I'm having the same problem. Except I havn't installed tweakui or any tweak programs. It worked two days ago and I havn't installed any programs. It is my work computer, so I'm also under admin restrictions, so there's not too much I could do to screw up system settings. Any ideas? Would installing programs to the C directory have anything to do with it? I installed trillian and winamp2 to C because that somehow bypassed admin rights. But the systray had been working for a while after they were installed. The IT guy played around a little while and couldn't figure anything out. He looked at msconfig and saw what was starting, no luck.

WinXP Pro SP2
P4 3.4GHz
2GB RAM

Edit: I removed trillian from the start up folder and that seemed to work. <shrugs>

its actually an option in TweakUI that can cause this

I had the same problem about a year ago and nearly pulled all my hair out trying to figure it out. There is also a way to fix it manually in the registry. But like I said its been about a year now and dont have the location or option that it was, but I do know for sure its somthing in Tweakui

hope that helps

Back