SYSPREP Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 installed HLP!

SuperG

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I have a computer in which I have just done a fresh install of Windows XP Professional w/ SP2. I have installed all the software needed. I would now like to use a program called sysprep, which will allow me to create an image, which I can use on other computers which have different hardware components, etc. Now my quesion is, how do I use this Sysprep program. I am completely new to it. As far as options go, I would like to use most/all options regarding reconfiguring. Meaning, I would like to redetect all hardware, create new sids, create new profiles, new users, new admin passwd, new computer name, user name, organization, etc. Basically most all the things needed to make the deployment a completely new computer (just with all the software/configurations installed). I used the setup manager to create an answer file (sysprep.inf). Here is what mine looks like:

;SetupMgrTag
[Unattended]
InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386

[GuiUnattended]
EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
OEMSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=20

[UserData]
ProductKey=My-Product-Key-.....-.....
FullName=""
OrgName=""
ComputerName=*

[Display]
Xresolution=800
YResolution=600

[TapiLocation]
CountryCode=1

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1

[SetupMgr]
DistFolder=C:\sysprep\i386
DistShare=windist

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

Is that OK? Will that give me what I want (as said above, i.e. re-detect all hardware, new sids, etc.), or are there additional options I should use to cuztomize it more? If it is OK then what do I do next. When I ran setup manager, it created a folder called sysprep in c drive root (C:\sysprep). Inside it there is sysprep.exe, sysprep.inf, and a folder called i386, which inside of it has a folder called $oem$. I am going to put the setupcl.exe file in the C:\sysprep directory. Now what do I do. How do I run sysprep, and with what switches? And what exactly will go on when I do it. This would be really helpful for me. Thanks.

SuperG03

Run sysprep, it'll pop up a window.

In there, you select mini-setup and PNP. Then hit reseal. The computer will "do stuff" for a while and then shutdown. As long as you don't boot the disk, you'll be able to clone it to your heart's content. If you fuck up & start booting it, and are using Ghost to clone, you'll have to re-run sysprep 'cuz Ghost don't like 'dirty' drives.

One thing - unless you have a volume edition of windows, you're going to run into problems with activation if they're all using the same key.

Back