Symantec Endpoint v11 - Any Good?

ZzBloopzZ

[H]ard|Gawd
I am looking for good antivirus for my 2008 R2 box at home. I have access to Endpoint 11 and was wondering if it's any good?

I use to use Symantec Antivirus Corporate back in the day and it stunk. Lots of things went through. Wondering if Endpoint is better, because I know the normal consumer version is much better now. Sadly, all the good free ones such as MSE, Avira don't work on server OS's. :mad: I would love to use Nod32 Business Edition... but too pricey for me.

Thanks!

it's so-so.

granted, only have it installed on a couple servers currently... but it sounds like we are going to be deploying SEP to more computers sometime this month.

and of course the servers it's installed on are rarely logged on to, so not near as much of a chance of getting infected.

Its the mandatory AV were i work it could be worse SEP 11 is fairly light and does a decent job. Wouldn't be my first choice but there are worse

The SEP client itself is good. The management console is absolutely atrocious. If you have access to it and it is legal for you to use then I would go ahead and through it on your server. Just be sure you configure the necessary exclusions for your OS.

Our AV guy hates it because he says the management console requires Java 5 and the latest patches for that require an Oracle support contract.

EDIT: OK, so we forced an upgrade to Java 6 and it seems to work fine. So much for Symantec's KB entry.

Last edited:
Back