switching hard drives using Restore (win2k server)?

black_b[ ]x

[H]ard|Gawd
I have 2 partitions on an older SCSI drive and I need them moved to another, larger drive (also 2 partitions, SCSI). We have full tape backups (both partitions, system state), and the Emergency Disk from the built-in backup utility.

How do I get this to the old drive? I did a restore to altenate location on the two partitions, changed the boot order for the 2 drives in the BIOS, but it didnt boot windows, it went to the next item in the boot list (the CD). Do I need to restore the System State to the other drive as well? I was kinda nervous about doing that, thinking it might screw up the existing registry.

Should I use the recovery options on the win2k CD?

Another potential problem... somehow the drive letters got reversed on the original drive, so drive D is the boot drive, and drive C is the extra. D is still listed as the first partition on the platter though (in the disk management util.) Is that going to cause problems?

I could use norton ghost, but I don't see why I should have to since I have full tape backups on hand. Do I have to perform an actual windows installation on the other drive, then perform the restore? that seems stupid, what if I didnt have all the configuration info on hand?

I've restored the 2 partitions to the new drive, copied the boot.ini and some other com file according to an MS bulletin, but then it couldnt find ntkrnl.exe or something. What exactly are you supposed to do in the event of a total drive failure?

Back