Switch OS from one SSD to another

man00

Limp Gawd
What I got is Windows 11 on a Samsung 870 evo
Windows 10 on WD Blue SN580
I wonder if I can use Macrium Reflect backup of each OS and restore Win 11 on WD SN580
and win 10 on the samsung 870 and still be able to pick which OS to boot to during boot?
thanks

Yeah I think it would work basically like you're thinking. Use Macrium Reflect to create an image backup of Windows 10 and Windows 11 on a separate storage device. Restore to the respective SSD you want.

To choose between which one you want, when the computer starts hit your option to choose the boot device (e.g. F8, F10, F12 or whatever, it varies on motherboard). Alternatively you could always boot off of one drive, but use BCD to define multiple installations and switch between them that way. Some discussion on that here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...tside-of/ba2d431c-62c5-4a73-832c-e90102db4a2c

Yeah I think it would work basically like you're thinking. Use Macrium Reflect to create an image backup of Windows 10 and Windows 11 on a separate storage device. Restore to the respective SSD you want.

To choose between which one you want, when the computer starts hit your option to choose the boot device (e.g. F8, F10, F12 or whatever, it varies on motherboard). Alternatively you could always boot off of one drive, but use BCD to define multiple installations and switch between them that way. Some discussion on that here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...tside-of/ba2d431c-62c5-4a73-832c-e90102db4a2c
Thanks for the help, I tried it and had to do a start up repair..booted buy had recycle bin corrupt messages that I was unable to fix, so went back to the way it was
I guess fresh installs would be about the only to do this
Thanks again

You should be able to do it if you have a piece of blank media. I've used macrium and easeus to do it, but I was always moving from an installed NVME to a bigger (or faster), new, blank NVME.

yes, make a disk image of each and then restore them to the ones you want them on.

Thanks folks for the help..I threw in the towel on this one. Had too many errors and freeze ups., so I just went to to the way it was

Gave it another shot, all restores were after using diskpart clean
took windows 11 restored to SN580 ,
Windows 10 restored to Samsung 870
I had samsun 850 evo that had windows 10 on it ...used diskpart to wipe it.
After that computer would boot, not even to the boot screen....once I removed the smasung 870 computer booted
what is going wrong there?

Did you not run "Fix Boot Problems" in Macrium? If you're doing anything more than a simple clone, which in this case you are, then you'll find it necessary to have Macrium fix the boot registry. Outside of cloning, you typically can't just move/swap Windows installations around and expect it to "just work".

Did you not run "Fix Boot Problems" in Macrium? If you're doing anything more than a simple clone, which in this case you are, then you'll find it necessary to have Macrium fix the boot registry. Outside of cloning, you typically can't just move/swap Windows installations around and expect it to "just work".
Yeah did that still no go, when I remove the sn 580 then the samsung 870 will boot , remove the 870 then the 580 will boot...Even ran diskpart clean again on the 870 still no boot screen with both drives installed

Yeah did that still no go, when I remove the sn 580 then the samsung 870 will boot , remove the 870 then the 580 will boot...Even ran diskpart clean again on the 870 still no boot screen with both drives installed
What does your boot drive list look like? Does it boot but with a Windows startup error on each OS? Have you tried enabling or disabling CSM?

No screen at all with boot drives installed...Only boot option depends on which drive is installed

Back