Switch from U2410 to Alienware OptX AW2310

rUmX

Gawd
Joined
Feb 17, 2009
Messages
1,019
Alright, so DELL has this monitor for $350 for Boxing week sale. Mighty tempting at that price. Thing is I love my U2410. It's beautiful. The only thing I hate is the input lag (srsly). Is it worth it to switch to the AW2310? I do lots of work on my PC hence why I got the Dell. I'm also a IPS whore (previous monitors were 3007WFP-HC, 2007FP). I cringe when I look at most other TN panels. Would I be disappointed in the AW2310? I don't care for displayport so that isn't a loss, and neither for S3D. Is 120hz also that good?
 
Last week I switched from a 24" Apple LED Cinema to the AW2310. I've also used the U2410 at my office and am also an IPS monitor whore. Here are my thoughts:
  • I never noticed input lag on the ACD, but the AW2310 is noticeably much more responsive. It should blow the U2410 out of the water.
  • 120hz makes a huge difference in the feel of responsiveness in the OS UI as well as eliminates horizontal tearing in games.
  • The colors out of the box are not so good on the AW2310. You will very much notice the downgrade in color quality. It's a TN panel, don't expect miracles. Vertical viewing angles predictably suck.
  • There is minor backlight bleeding along the top and bottom, which other users have noticed.
  • The build quality is very high, and the stand is very functional and adjustable. I am not aware of any other TN monitors with this kind of quality or attention to detail.
  • It seems considerably smaller than the U2410. Going from 16:10 24" to 16:9 23.5" is a bigger difference than it sounds.
In my mind, the 120hz and 3D Vision support make the AW2310 a great monitor for gaming, which is monstly what I use it for. Definitely not a monitor you want for Photoshop or design work though. I am very happy with mine, but I definitely notice the shortcomings in color quality and viewing angles. I'm thinking about buying a U2412M to use in portrait mode alongside the AW2310, that would be the best of both worlds :)

My advice: if you can't afford two monitors, wait a year. There should be 120hz IPS monitors coming out soon, and I would probably dump this thing in a heartbeat for one of those. For now, the AW2310 is a very nice monitor as far as TN panels go.
 
Having used both and being a pretty hardcore CSS player, you will be disappointed if you switch. The 120hz is nice and adds some benefit, but it's not a game changer and will not miraculously unlock even more potential skill you may possess.

Out of the box you will notice that you just went from a 24" to a 23" your display is one inch smaller all around AND since it is 16:9 you will lose a considerable amount of horizontal space. 16:9 monitors are wider than 16:10 monitors, but the AW2310 is 1" smaller so the u2410 will still be wider. Despite the AW2310 being a 23" you will feel your monitor is more like a 21".

The viewing angles blow hard with this monitor, color shifts drastically by slight movement.

Overall, pass on the AW2310. I really don't get how the input lag is THAT bad on the u2410 for you, I had no issue with it at all, even switching back and forth between each monitors.

here's a comparison of real estate you're losing out on.

http://www.displaywars.com/23-inch-16x9-vs-24-inch-16x10

and if the aw2310 was 16:10

http://www.displaywars.com/23-inch-16x10-vs-24-inch-16x10
 
Fot gaming 120Hz is the choice.

Who cares about voewing angles while gaming?
 
Thanks for the advice Zinn and BETA.

I'm a hardcore fighting game player (Super Street Fighter 4 AE and King of Fighters XIII) and use a arcade stick, and the input lag blows hard on the U2410. I play on the PS3 and the monitor doubles as my TV via the HDMI port. Gaming mode doesn't seem to do anything. The input lag is really bad, and very noticeable for me because one of my friends play on the 360 on a plasma HDTV and there isn't any input lag there. Also have another friend that plays on the PS3 on a old tube CRT TV and there's no input lag there either. Even my old 3007WFP didn't have any noticeable lag either, most likely do to the lack of a hardware scaler which AFAIK the U2410 has.

I do do Photoshop and website design/coding work so I will pass on the Alienware. Also watch a lot of movies from the bed and usually not always directly facing the screen when in sleep position so viewing angles are very important to me. Hope those IPS 120hz come out soon and aren't too expensive.
 
why not just buy big cheap TN monitor as secondary?
cheap Acer and BenQ should have so simple electronics that it have almost no input lag and ability to go beyong 60Hz without frame skipping.

ps. U2410 is one of faster IPS if not the fastest. It's input lag in game mode is below one frame. It also can do sRGB/aRGB/custom in game mode via game mode trick. So it's not half bad for gaming imho.
 
Back
Top