Super slow wireless lan?

HybridHB

[H]ard|Gawd
I have my desktop connected to a 54g router by a wire, and my latop is wireless g also. When transferrring files, its amazingly slow! By my calculations its about 5mb/s. Now ive read that wireless b has an actual transfer speed of 1mb/s, so that would mean my calculations are correct since 54g is supposed to be 5x faster. Is this right? If the actual transfer speeds are so slow, why do they advertise it as 11mb/s for wireless b and 54mb/s for wireless g?

You should get around 5-7mbps for B, and around 20mbps for G (pure file throughput)

They advertise the actualy physical link speed (the rate at which the packets flow out of the router) but due to many things (single transmit at once, etc), it slows to around half of the real speed for copying files. You probably could get a UDP stream going from one computer to another at around 85% of the rated wireless speed, but there's no point except for VOIP type functionality (or the such)

On to your problem:
-what's your signal strength and quality?
-how are you measuring these speeds?
-what brand/model stuff?
-newest firmware for your router?
-what OS's?
-have you tried changing channels/etc?
-is WEP enabled, and if so, is it faster without it? (not that you should use it without it)

My advice when speedtesting is to use FTP. Windows sharing has too much overhead to get an accurate count.

-what's your signal strength and quality?
When transferring my latop sits right in front of the router, so its connected at max strength, 54mbps.

-how are you measuring these speeds?
I timed how long it would take to move 11gb over, and calculated it.

-what brand/model stuff?
Desktop is wired with 3com 3CR990-TX-97
Laptop has a broadcom 54g
Router is a linksys WRT54G

-newest firmware for your router?
yes

-what OS's?
desktop has Xp Pro
Laptop has Xp home

-have you tried changing channels/etc?
not yet but i will

-is WEP enabled, and if so, is it faster without it? (not that you should use it without it)
Yes it is enabled, didnt try it without it. Dont think i will be either since my neighbors are kind of shady.

Any good network bench programs out there?

Thanks for the help!

Back