Suggestions for an external harddrive?

Joined
Jan 23, 2004
Messages
20
I'm looking for suggestions for an external harddrive. I want it to be USB 2.0 and at least 250 GB. Not sure if I should go with one of the prepackaged deals or buy a hard drive and an enclosure. :confused:

Thanks.
 
Your'e better off buying your own hard drive and enclosure. Its really simple, and most likely alot cheaper.
 
I could be way off here, but when I initially researched my external purchase I found various opinions on slapping a drive in an external enclosure vs. preassembled. One of the concerns with the DIY external enclosures on the market is their lack of power-down cycles to preserve the life of the hard drive. Another stated that manufacturers tune the chipsets for that particular brand of drive to ensure maximum performance and reliability. I haven't seen anything "in stone", so this could be a bunch of theory. :) I went the safe route, as my external hard drive acts as a safehouse for archived data and purchased a 300 gig Seagate external. Cool, fairly quiet, and hasn't given me any reason to worry yet. Has USB 2.0 / Firewire. Good luck in your search!
 
Back
Top