suction induced cooling

D.petersen84

Limp Gawd
I am just wondering but has anyone ever tryed this? I.E. take a 2-4 inch hosing straight over the heatsink with it almost 70% sealed to it and have it hooked up to a pump or anything of that nature?

Was thinking of trying it just for fun on an old win98 box with a p3 and oc'ing it to see what type of temps i could do.

The idea would be to draw in a greater amount of air directly to the chip heatsink at a faster rate then normal for increased cooling....(Just a random bored idea is all please no gimmicks about it being lame...)

so basicly your just sucking in air and the heat away from the heatsink.. pretty much how intel use to cool their cpu's back in the day.. unlike now where it pushes air over the heatsink.. intels heatsinks use to pull air/heat away from the heatsink.. not sure how well it would work.. but worth a shot..

how is this terribly different than a fan in a pull configuration? I mean I suppose you could have a much bigger fan on the other end that wouldn't fit in the case.

how is this terribly different than a fan in a pull configuration? I mean I suppose you could have a much bigger fan on the other end that wouldn't fit in the case.

i think hes some what refering to say running a shop vac in reverse with the hose covering the heatsink.. atleast thats my best guess of what hes trying to do..

The idea is to create less space....

When you have an old school heat sink square cub with a fan less air is drawn the the hotter parts of the heatsink

The idea would be to have less then half an inch between the mobo and the tubing drawing the air directly out of the case and pulling colder air in over the heatsink/cpu. Also you could reverse is and have it blow air from outside the case directly onto the cpu

(i live in washinton so its pretty cold sometimes.. but the idea would be i.e. its 30-40F outside hook up a 3-5ft hose that would pull air from outside directly to the cpu....not a perfect idea but just for boredom sake...looking into something to do for a project

yeah yeah i know this is ghetto.. but im going to be bored untill my shipment comes in with my i7 and then i can setup that with a water cooling system

The idea is to create less space....

When you have an old school heat sink square cub with a fan less air is drawn the the hotter parts of the heatsink

The idea would be to have less then half an inch between the mobo and the tubing drawing the air directly out of the case and pulling colder air in over the heatsink/cpu. Also you could reverse is and have it blow air from outside the case directly onto the cpu

(i live in washinton so its pretty cold sometimes.. but the idea would be i.e. its 30-40F outside hook up a 3-5ft hose that would pull air from outside directly to the cpu....not a perfect idea but just for boredom sake...looking into something to do for a project

yeah one of my buddies lives in alaska.. runs a tube from the window directly above his HSF.. cpu sits at about 2C full load.. with a q9650 @ 4ghz..

nice...i just havnt heard of anyone really doing anything like that or even without a HS and straight to the cpu with a tiny bracket to give it slight spacing so its letting air flow

You do realize that that would be essentially the same thing as having a really fast fan pulling air through the heatsink, right?

Don't forget to take into account the condensation issues you could run into when mixing radically different air temps. You might have water condensing on and dripping down from that intake tube. As I'm sure you're aware, that's not the good kind of watercooling.

You do realize that that would be essentially the same thing as having a really fast fan pulling air through the heatsink, right?

What he said, plus the fact that it's exhausting the heat directly out of the case. You could achieve the same thing by having a "pull" fan on the heatsink, blowing the hot air out an exhaust duct. Depending on the fan and your vacuum source, the fan might even work better.

man you people are being to rational.. hes just screwing around with an old p3.. who cares if it dies..

To cool the center of the heatsink effectively, you would need to push/pull the air sideways across the heatsink with a shroud setup.

If you are just sucking it with a hose right above the heatsink, as always, the air will take the path of least resistance. You will get hardly any airflow over the very center of the heatsink. Much like how any old conventional CPU fan/heatsink is setup.

Back