Subwoofer Problem

Andrew_Carr

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Feb 26, 2005
Messages
2,792
I just received my pair of Swan M10s the other week. I've used them about three times so far. Today I just noticed that the subwoofer will start thumping if left on, even if no music is playing. Also, during a song today it started doing the same thing. I've had no problems with the satellite speakers which sound great, but the sub is really annoying me. Is it possible that it somehow is damaged, or would this be some other problem? I don't have a soundcard, just onboard sound.

[Edit:] After listening to it some more, it sound kinda like a heartbeat. Really weird.
 
Take it somewhere else and see if it does the same thing. Maybe it's EMI from a heavy-duty motor nearby.
 
Alright. I just read elsewhere that the heartbeat sound could mean a bad amp.

I'll move it around some. When I had it downstairs I didn't notice it at all(but I only used it once or twice so maybe I just missed it). I brought it up and noticed it last night when I left it on at night for a few hours. But I had it across the room last night from where it is now and it still made the thumping sound.
 
Alright. I just read elsewhere that the heartbeat sound could mean a bad amp.

It could, and that was my first thought, but if it's doing the same thumping with music being played and there is no other audible distortion then that lowers the possibility some. Ditto for the possibility of the amp shutting down or the system not receiving a signal momentarily (leading to a thump as the capacitors bleed off, or something like that).

If it's regular in interval then the EMI case is more likely, if it's irregular then some kind of broken connection is more likely, I'd think.
 
Back
Top