StyleXP and Service Pack 3

DangerIsGo

2[H]4U
OK so I got SP3 and had styleXP working too. So after doing a fresh install with SP3, and then installing StyleXP, it gives me an error saying 'this version (3.19) of style xp is not compatible with your version of windows" then lists the compatible versions of windows. My question, has anyone found a way to get styleXP to work and/or does anyone know about a future release of styleXP that is compatible? I would find it really stupid and ignorant if TGTSoft didn't release a patch for this.

People still use StyleXP? Patched uxtheme.dll is a far better alternative, but to each their own.

SP3 just came out, so give it time.

Wow this is a small world. The exact same thing happened to me the other day. I actually uninstalled sp3 to get it to work. However, if this is the first time you've decided to go with stylexp, don't. Get something better, as stylexp seemed outdated and its transparency options were terrible looking.

You'll need a patched uxtheme.dll file that correlates exactly to your build of XP. I just ramped up on Visual Styles myself over the past couple days, and I'm rewriting a tutorial that is a bit more reader friendly, but here are the steps of what you need to do:

1. Find out which build of XP you have by clicking Start, then Run, type in winver, and then click OK. Write down the version information for your OS.
  2. Download the appropriate uxtheme.dll file: link
  3. Download Replacer: link
  4. Create a new folder on your Desktop, and extract the contents of the Replacer ZIP file into it.
  5. Double-click replacer.cmd.
  6. Drag in the original uxtheme.dll.
  7. Drag in the modified uxtheme.dll that you downloaded.
  8. Reboot when prompted.
As long as you DL the correct uxtheme.dll file in Step 2, you should be a-ok.

I've always gone with the uxtheme.dll replacement method, using the recovery console, as opposed to using extra software. It's quick, easy, and gets the job done.

Back