Stupid question: 2 modems in one house?

Kevin5255

Limp Gawd
Hi all, I have kind of a stupid question. I just moved into a new house and my computer room is on the other side of the house from my router. I can't wire an ethernet cable down there, and although I haven't tested I doubt the wireless is quick enough for Overwatch at <30ms ping.

I have a COAX cable in the new computer room, though. I was thinking of plugging an aftermarket modem into the COAX cable I have in the new computer room in order to get wired internet in the new computer room. It seems relatively straightforward, but I've never used 2 modems in a single house before. Does anyone have any experience or advice for going about this? I'd really like to get a wired connection in this new room somehow. 

If your ISP will allow more than one modem in a single residence (the couple I've asked wouldn't), I see no reason it shouldn't work as long as we're talking about cable and not xDSL(which includes U-Verse) or some kind of FTTC/FTTP.

You can get two modems in one house. You'll pay out the ass for it, but you can do it.

Your ISP is your largest hurdle to 30ms ping. Most of the time modern wireless is 1-2ms, if that.

also confirming you can have two modems in the house. had comcast business and comcast residential without issue.

Look into a MoCA adapter like Fios uses. I've used two old verizon routers for a point to point over coax before.

How big is the house, like are talking 1500 sq feet or 4500? Also, can you put the cable modem in your computer room and have everywhere else use wireless from there? Is there a signal strength issue?

A pair of MoCa adapters should bridge the network just fine between those two locations....

Have you considered a pair of powerline ethernet adapters?

Have you considered a pair of powerline ethernet adapters?

This.

Or check our Google Wifi launching next month. Easy to setup mesh system. I had been pondering open mesh for a while, but hesitated due to what looked like a nightmare to setup.

If your ISP will allow more than one modem in a single residence (the couple I've asked wouldn't), I see no reason it shouldn't work as long as we're talking about cable and not xDSL(which includes U-Verse) or some kind of FTTC/FTTP.

You can with DSL, but you're paying for more lines to be run to the house. Most likely you only have the 2 pair coming in, so they'd have to dig up and run more cable from the pedestal to the house.

Expensive, though. I'd rather just run an ethernet cable as far as possible and add an AP as close to center as I could. Wouldn't add much to latency...

I can't see why you can't have two cable modems but it will involve paying for two services. For DSL you would need to run a separate phone line as it's dedicated all the way to the CO. Either way you'd be paying for two services. I would just find a way to run a wire.

Back