streaming 2 security video feeds, causes for drop?

FLATcura

Weaksauce
I have 2 buildings that are being monitored by a i3dvr camera system. the system itself is just the box, there are no display monitors. its simply locked in a wooden case. but i have it connected to the internet using a 5meg DSL connection. the ports are forwarded to use software that came with it (that may possible be designed for LANs not WANs)
essentially a booth in our main building runs the client software that connects to the 2 buildings and views their cameras(4 each). i have dropped the resolution and frame rate in a effort to correct the fact that one, and only one of the sites constantly drops.

if they wait 5 minutes they can reconnect, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for a half hour..
the building receiving the stream has a Rogers business line, but shares it with aprox 20 people.. i've tried configuring everything i can think of, but it still happens, the people in charge dont know what they are doing, and are stuck with the idea of replacing the ISPs at the 2 locations, however i do not think this will affect anything.

does anyone have any suggestions, comments or what not? any good ways to check wether my main building is bottlenecking (i dont know where to check)

thanks in advance

-dave

I have a friend that, as part of his business, does video monitoring/recording. A his clients locations...he'll have a few cameras setup, each on on a unique port, with those ports opened/forwarded to the cameres which are on static LAN IP addresses. I have him using business grade routers at each clients site.

At his central office...knowing he would be remote monitoring dozens and dozens and dozens of cameras all at the same time...he's using Go1984 software. With this setup, there is no port opening/forwarding required on the router at the central location. However..knowing this router would be getting hit hard 24x7...I built a *nix distro for him, I used a little Dell Optiplex small form factor chassis that he had kicking around, just a Celeron 1.7 or something like that, and a gig of RAM.

My main point..for this type of setup...I'd look at the routers first..you using beefy ones?

thats for the reply,

ill have to get over there to get an exact model number, but for the area there is dsl to a regular linksys router (not high quality by any means) then hooked to a big 24 port gigabit d-link switch. from there i know that it hits another 8 port d-link gigabit switch before it reaches the 3rd floor where the camera computer is (the receiving end)

i am aware that the setup is a little rag-tag because were a non profit organization, so its kind of a build as we need it type deal. but interesting as i never really considered the path the signal would take.. but what is strange, one connects fine, and the second drops, never vice versa,

the receiving box, is a pIII 866 with 256MB ram, and dual nvidia MX400 PCI vid cards
the second card is for a video stream using html over the LAN from another DVR in the basement

it runs win2000 with everything stripped down, im a noob at the ol linux, so i do understand that it would be better... but im pretty sure it would take me forever to fix it if anything broke

when you traceroute the connections how many hops to the system that is ok and how many to the system that drops?

Have you thought that it could be a faulty CCTV system?

it is 17 hops for both of them, i have a friend whos good with that stuff analyzing the traceroute information

i wish to find out if its on the upload end, or the site streaming it..

as far as it being a faulty system, i have considered that, but i have spent a couple hours on different occasions checking everything i can, and i dont see any problems, but if anyone has suggestions on things i can try, i'm game

Back