• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Strange problem with XFX 4850.

vdragonlance

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
485
I have had this XFX 4850 for about 2 weeks and everything has been fine until last night. When I tried to watch a video using WMP, the screen would artifact and the computer would lock up.
At first I thought it was the OC so I reset everything back to default and reinstalled the drivers also made sure the card was seated properly. No good, it still would still corrupt the screen and lock up.

The strange part is that it doesn't lock up when playing games. :confused:
 
I tried that and still no luck. :(

I'm going to try and flash the card's BIOS. The card works just fine when playing games and surfing the web, but the second you load a video using WMP it locks up.

EDIT: I'm running the latest drivers, 9.11.
 
I think the problem could be with the power saving mode. When the card is underclocked to save power.
I forced the card to run at full speed when watching videos and so far no problem. That could also be the reason why it runs fine when playing games.
 
Looks like that was the problem. Been looping a 720p video and it's stable before it would lock up seconds after the video was started.

Case Closed! :p
 
Back
Top