• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Strange boot loop - Supermicro/Intel

AUPhil

n00b
Joined
Nov 28, 2012
Messages
11
Hey Everybody,

I have a rather vanilla Supermicro dual Xeon system with an integrated LSI 2208 card, two Hitachi 10k SAS drives in a raid1 array.

For about a year, Windows 2012 R2 was installed and the system was used for SAS analysis stuff. Rather boring.

A few months of non-use go by, and I get back to it for another run of analyses and notice that the system now does not boot unless I am sitting in front of the console (or on ipmi) and press F11 then select the LSI virtual drive as the boot device, then hit enter. Once I do that, I'm home free and everything works fine.

If I am not on hand to press F11 then select the boot device, the system just loops through POST, LSI POST, then back to POST.

Again, once I manually force the boot device via F11 as the LSI drive, everything is fine. Windows is rock solid.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
AUPhil
 
So it worked fine with the reboots originally?

Basics are motherboard BIOS / LSI firmware..

Check supermicro's website they have a FAQ section that's actually not bad. I would even email them I bet they respond directly to you..
 
Yeah everything was A-OK after I built it, ran solid for a year. Then I abandoned it for about 3 months.

I'll check into the LSI firmware as delivered by Supermicro.
 
If it was unplugged for an extended period of time, it could be an issue with a battery.
 
Back
Top